R&R transmission

darrel

I would much rather r&r a transmission in a s30 or s130 than in my 620. But It's done. Especially helpful with the right tools like a lift and a trans jack. Getting the trans out was more difficult than putting it back in.

I never dealt with torsion bars and it is cramped under the 620. Removed the p side torsion bar gave better access, unbolting the driver side gave better access above the cross member. 

Putting the transmission back in was easier using the trans jack and it's tilting table was a great help re installing it.

It was definitely worth it for the 5 spd. I can keep up with the traffic now on the highway.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A five speed won't give you more speed. It will reduce RPMs by about 15% above 4th gear and it won't sound like the motor is over revved, but the truth is the L20B is good for 6,000 RPMs all day. In a truck it will go faster in 4th gear than 5th. A five speed only increases mileage at cruise speeds.

Exactly.  I drove Cross State (70MPH zone) multiple times with my '76 KC.  In 4th.  Keeping up with traffic was doing 80, and when I was trying to catch up with my "convoy" I was over that.  Engine's still running fine.  The prior 620, with a 5-speed, got better mileage, but I had to drop to 4th for some hills.  Not all, but it was faster in 4th than 5th.  Takes more power to climb hills, and the 5-speed takes the engine out of its power band (being a '83 280ZX 5-speed's massive overdrive had much to do with that).  For flat cruising, the 5-speed increases mileage because it takes less power to maintain speed than accelerate or climb hills.

And just think.  The 250 dollars you spend (normally) on a zx 5 speed, you save in that extra 5-10 miles per tank of the next 10 years. Fucking congrats! Trololol.. I'd still rock a five speed over a four speed.

Besides, you shouldn't drive up hills in fifth from what I hear. Chances of anything going bad are slim considering how long these have  been on the road, but the bearings do not like it. (or something like that)

4th is straight through the transmission without any gears transmitting power. Virtually no side loads on any of the bearings. All other gears are powered through the counter shaft gears and it's bearings. 4th is best for passing acceleration, climbing steep hills, heavy loads and towing if you must.