2004 Eclipse Spyder GTS (transmission submission)

So I traded my 2004 Honda TRX450R for a 2004 Eclipse Spyder GTS convertible.

Only downside to the trade was that the auto transmission wasn't working. I weighed it out and decided to trade based on the great overall condition of the car, knowing that even if I had to buy a rebuilt transmission, it would be worth it.

So I got it home, put it on jackstands and diagnosed it to a mechanical failure of some sort (these are electrically shifted). And based on what these transmissions are known for - I guessed it was a probably also broken wave spring.

I removed the F4A51 transmission from the car and tore it apart yesterday. This will be my first transmission rebuild attempt. So here's the pics.

002_zpsb48b8aa3.jpg

the pump shaft is tight and wont turn - this is when I decided go ahead and tear it apart

001_zpsf3d34954.jpg

rear section, planetarys, friction clutches, steels

009_zps3d0920d0.jpg

seemingly unorganized - I assure you it is...

010_zps9ee1af5b.jpg

housing fortunately untouched

002_zps8e9fcd09.jpg

Stator lightly scratched

003_zpseb1e696d.jpg

008_zpscc6499ea.jpg

008_zpse28166c2.jpg

The secondary piston (pictured below - left) took a gouging - hard to see... also hard to replace, more to come onthis piece.

004_zps356aa585.jpg

As you can see, the thin circular metal (wavespring) is broken, pieces migrated to the pump and broke it. More interesting facts/pictures/cost summary to come (tomorrow hopefully).

• Like 11
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I have everything except:

- pump (arrives thursday hopefully)

- loctite / assembly lube / sealant

- brakeclean

So far cost is just above $500

Pics -

001_zpsf987ab42.jpg

002_zps4c10d282.jpg

004_zps9fcf7f66.jpg

so if you look closely, you can see where the damaged parts were filed and then sanded with fine grit sandpaper

Compare this to before (below)

006_zpsf61e1647.jpg

In retrospect, I wish I would have researched how to do timelapse - as I feel a complete teardown & rebuild would have been very entertaining...

Yeah it's going to be for my wife, she's not trained yet for stickshift...

Would rather post in non-datsun project than join an eclipse forum, no offense to other eclipse owners... they're just usually pretty juvenile is all.

So I noticed the overdrive planetarys gear pins were recessed, and sure enough they are supposed to be staked in. Then noticed that a shim had slipped out and down inside, then found another deeper.

Ebayed up another good gear set, messaged seller to see if they could ship asap.... looks to be a some delays, but it's better to find it now than when I'm driving down the road.

Some random pics, until parts arrive...

004_zps24422dc6.jpg

005_zps48205529.jpg

003_zps7040cc05.jpg

I found it particularly difficult to compress the wave spring and cover plate, made a compression tool to get it accomplished - well used pieces from a c-clamp and washers and some flat stock with some drilled holes...

002_zps60c3e6c9.jpg

001_zps6548deed.jpg

Another thing the previous owner mentioned was that this car just had the transmission rebuilt 40k miles prior. I'm guessing that transmission place opted not to replace the OEM wavespring with the HD wave spring, or it was only made available after this was rebuilt.

Some other questionable things I found along the way - both transmission mounts were completely worn out (center even fell out on front one), motor must have flopped a little when driven (was wifes car though)... the guy said he was no mechanic and yet I found evidence that the drivers side halfshaft was recently apart, loose axle nut, loose lug nuts, newly torn cv boot, missing starter bolt, loose inspection plate screws. He made it sound as if he hadn't touched it. Doesn't bother me, I think he just wanted pass it off as a potential easy fix.

I traded with the knowledge that even worse case scenario, my out of pocket expense would not exceed the value of the car minus the value of the 450r. And I was blatent about that fact with him as well. They had money though, he bought his wife a 2013 corvette, or she bought it... Point being that he didn't seem to mind the values not being even on the trade.

710 wagon bought for 1000, spent 80 hours rewiring and fixing redoing interior, installed new timing set, new head and drove for a year.

traded for 2004 TRX450R after multiple attempts to sell the car failed - (started at 4k - reduced to 2500) - rode the quad twice in 6 months, decided it was worth too much to just have sitting 99% of the time

traded quad for 2004 mitsubishi eclipse GTS spyder convertible

• 2 weeks later...

So, I had to wait on parts and life... But got the transmission back together tonight, i'll do the valvebody cover gasket tomorrow morning (it's not a pan even though it looks like one - because it's situated on the side of the trans,not the bottom)...weird but whatever.

Then I'll have to borrow either a trans jack or motorcycle jack from a buddy and hopefully have this back in the car by tomorrow evening.

and some pics -

001_zps1892c999.jpg

002_zpsaa8bb586.jpg

001_zps763a2e62.jpg

somewhat cleaned back up

002_zps633be09d.jpg

005_zps31bc3bb0.jpg

016_zps0fe7eb15.jpg

017_zpsbec25d68.jpg

all back in one piece...

• 4 weeks later...

So finally got around to "my" projects tonight. Work has been, well - work (meaning i'm left with little motivation).

I replaced cv axle seals in trans, replaced 2 torn boots on the axles, installed new pan gasket, filled new torque converter/installed, got this heavy damned transmission stabbed and several bolts installed.

And now that it's prime time for the drunks to be leaving the bars - I'm getting lots of calls for rides.... Volunteer dispatch for AADD (airman against drunk driving), answering phones and arranging rides, 10 people so far tonight...

Anyways, I may finish the transmission install tomorrow. Couple pics for now, enjoy...

005_zps8e34e896.jpg

003_zpsfb3fc88a.jpg

002_zpsb36bca1b.jpg