L18t w/ 5-speed in 67 520pu??

sycloned916

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about to pick up a L18t motor with a 5-speed attached to it, Just wanted to know if there is anything major that i need to do to drop it in.

I was thinking maybe crossmember,drive shaft and ?? Thanks!

Umm, engine and trans crossmember, drive shaft, radiator maybe (dunno what kind of radiator a 520 has.. think it had a A-series and not a L-series might be a diffrent radiator)

Depending on what the motor came out of you may need to swap the oilpan to match whatever engine crossmember you are putting in.

hopefully some one else will chime in and confirm what i've said and possibly add some other stuff I may have missed.

520s had J13 motors.

The good thing is the tranny length in the '72 should be the same as the 520. If the '72 has an L18 it's a transplant, if a 5spd it's most likely a short tail dog leg. I doubt if the motor mounts on the 520 will work with the L series motor, so keep the L breckets and rubber mounts. Definitely grab the '72's drive shaft(s), slave cylinder, rad and speedo cable. (just in case)

520s had J13 (maybe J15)

The good thing is the tranny length in the '72 should be the same as the 520. If the '72 has an L18 it's a transplant, if a 5spd it's most likely a short tail dog leg. I doubt if the motor mounts on the 520 will work with the L series motor.

Ya mine has a J13 now.

It was a transplant in the 72,my buddy drop it in about a yr ago. I'll grab the drive shaft out of it too.

Thats what i was hopein' to hear.Thanks! datzenmike

Nothing against '72 and up, but i dont like the body style of it.I like the smaller style they look tough! Thats me.

No friggin' way!!!! The 620 is the most beautiful truck ever made!!! The 520s look like Chevy Luvs. (that should get the ball rolling) :D

I like any car/truck from '64-64 to '77-78 but i like when they look like they should not be on the streets meaning that there are to old and where that hell did you find that peice. I do like the 620 but not something i don't see myself driving,they do get cool points thoe!

It's all good. My first truck was a '71 and you never forget your first, trucks either. Didn't have a clue back when it was only 5-6 years old. Put fiberglass fenders on and an L20B I rebuilt. It was my best friend at a low point in my life. Prefer the lines of the 620, like the 521 and if I had a 520 I would love it too.

It's all good. My first truck was a '71 and you never forget your first, trucks either. Didn't have a clue back when it was only 5-6 years old. Put fiberglass fenders on and an L20B I rebuilt. It was my best friend at a low point in my life. Prefer the lines of the 620, like the 521 and if I had a 520 I would love it too.

I sure am feeling the love here!