BananaRama

rufusswan

8565846157_3f69ef55b7.jpg

My nephew and I drove the 210 down to Rogers, Ar yesterday and we made a two car parade back home.  Seemed like a sound and strong runner, the brakes suck but most of the issues are lack of decent maint or cosmetic.  I am jazzed.

I have all summer to bring it up to par as I just bougrt it to haul fire wood.  When I took nephew home my sis said "Man that is one bright banana"  so I named it after an "act" I saw in the Zona Rosa down in Reynosa.

I have a couple of questions.

The paint is a week old,  how long to let it cure before I wax?

Where is the place to find the correct mirrors?

Rufus

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea the plate has some overspray.  I saw some close ups of stock mirrors so I know what to look for, but finding used parts for 70's era Datsuns is nil around here.

I'll gloss black the rims and design a rear bumper/hitch to finish the exterior.

It was cold and rainy yesterday so I only took an intro shot,  We'll have some sun in a few days and I'll take it down to the creek and take some good shots.  The plates are from Washington state.  The owner dragged it to Ark and it sat, then he moved it up to Rogers and the brother-in-law sold it

The color is not stock but it is damn close, the interior and engine bay paint look good but need a proper cleaning.   The wheels have got to have proper Baby Moons, I'll move the stock caps to the 210.

8565846157_3f69ef55b7.jpg

I have a question.

The paint is a week old,  how long to let it cure before I wax?

Rufus

when you wash the truck, don't use any soap, if you do, use a very mild soap and make sure you rinse it good. Use a shammy   or a terry cloth/ towel to remove any water so it don't leave water minerals/stains on the paint.

as for waxing, when the water beads and rolls off it's not ready to wax. When the water sheets is a good sign you can wax. I would wait an extra week or 2 before waxing. To wait for the thinners to evaporate,  might take up to 3 months. You just want to make sure that ALL the thinner have evaporate out of the paint.  

That's a great tip about cured paint sheeting water rather than beading so thanks 420n620!  It's darn cold though and it may be the end of April before it cures.

8572310613_0b1615bfc8.jpg

8573404290_88bf5a7aa1.jpg

8572315679_640ef6abf4.jpg

So I went out yesterday to pull the truck under the carport.  Course it would not fire up.  It was about 35 degrees and it showed up the broken wire to the anti dieseling solenoid.  Cold temps are like that, of course there are about 10 other elec fixes that need sussed out.    

I did check the ignition stuff and am surprised how well it ran.  I will replace cap/rotor/points/plugs and give the carb a dunk.  The pluts were eaten up the correct color and were not oily or sooty. The bolt to secure the distributor cap has stripped threads so i get do some hillbilly engineering.

8572313993_f17a2b454e.jpg

The dash is ok 'cept  the cover for radio and heater control is broken, fuses box is dangling, but worse is the window winder has been removed and shaft to hold winder handle is gone.  Gotta work on that.

Luckily I had pull privileges on some 80's Datsun trucks last year so I have a tach, oil pressure gauge and sensor, and volt meter I can in stall.

Rufus

Other photos are at  http://www.flickr.com/photos/rufusswan/sets/72157633036060813/

• Like 1

I asked about the color and he mentioned the paint brand but no color code or name of the paint shop in Rogers.  He also said it would cost $450 for exact match paint so he went with a stock color in that paint brand which I don't remember.  If you insist I can try to get in touch with him??

It is not flourescent, shaded, or tinted.  It is just YELLOW, a deep, full spectrum yellow right off a color wheel.  Back in the 60's it would have been called Canary Yellow or Corvette yellow.

The sticker is there but it cannot be read.  Some ass also sanded the info off the chassis badge in there..

019 is the stock but by now it's faded or washed, but it is yellow.

120 is too dark,

179 is even more faded.

208 is deeper but looks sort 'dark'

411 the Deep Yellow/Sunburst seems closest to what I have, or

650 which is washed or faded but still yellow

Eire or Gorse Yellow has good 'depth' too.  Although it might be a bit dark.

Mine seems to be close to 411 or maybe Eire.

Go here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow and look right in the center on the right.

or go here http://paintref.com/corvette/yellow_corvette.shtml and looked at the 1974 or 1977 or 86, that is damn close

Well we finally got some sun and the front went through so I took the truck out on the road and into direct sunlight so hopefully you can see this.  Beautiful blue sky, chipped limestone road surface and grey Missouri wood.  It doesn't hurt the eyes but man it is yeller.

8575543276_01a5d6d17b.jpg

Hope this helps :rolleyes: