Remove rust on engine block

Farmer

The ka that I bought recently, has seen many winters on salted roads.  The engine block has large amount of rust on it and I have removed some to see what future actions must I take.

Anybody have any good ways of removing rust.  Ive looked a little online, one mentioned  molasses dip???

Larry

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always had good luck with a wire wheel and a drill..  Theres different ones you can get, brass, steel, and even steel braded ones.  That'd for sure knock the rust off... they also make sanding discs for your drill, knocks off paint, rust etc.  that'd work too.  might not be so good at tight corners, though.

This probably isn't the best solution, but its cheap  :D 

When I needed to get the rust off the back side of my bumper and gas tank, I used Works toilet bowl cleaner. It may seem weird but it has some acid in it (I forget what now) that eats away rust. Plus its only $1.22 for a 2 pack at Walmart.

I just pored it in a bucket, and started scrubbing with a wire brush. Scrubbing wasn't needed, But removed it a little faster...

Is it a bare block? if so, find a machine shop that can lead shot blast it. Up north here we used to have Waterhouse machine (tacoma) do it. I just found out when they went out of business they sold the cabinet to Action machine in Shoreline. They come out looking brand new. Ready to machine and paint.

Toilet bowl cleaner has hydrochloric acid in it.  Not the best thing for the metal, or you.  If it is rust on the outside surface of the block, mechanical methods are probably best.  (sanding, sandblasting, scraping) if the block is "sealed", that is, not apart, with open holes.  Using liquid type rust removers may cause problems, because some may seep between the cast iron block, and aluminium covers, and stay there.   This will cause future corrosion problems, that could be worse than the surface rust.

I use a twisted wire cup brush on a small angle grinder - be sure to use goggles if you do this. Plus a bunch of steel wire brushes and scrapers. Maybe some naval jelly - which I think is phosphoric acid in gel form. Some body shops sell it quite cheap. I've tried hydrochloric acid to clean rusty auto parts too - no good, as the part will rust again almost immediately you wash the acid off it.

Toilet bowl cleaner has hydrochloric acid in it.  Not the best thing for the metal, or you.  If it is rust on the outside surface of the block, mechanical methods are probably best.  (sanding, sandblasting, scraping) if the block is "sealed", that is, not apart, with open holes.  Using liquid type rust removers may cause problems, because some may seep between the cast iron block, and aluminium covers, and stay there.   This will cause future corrosion problems, that could be worse than the surface rust.

Yeah, I didn't really think about that too hard when I posted, I just rembered using it before and posted it lol. I usually use it when I have nothing else and its right there haha. But I do agree "Mechanical methods" as you stated would probably be best for a engine block.