Firing order

r0p0doe

I know its been asked before but Id like info on what kind of distributor this is and what the firing order is. Had it running fine yesterday just a little high and my buddy switched around wires and since then we haven't beenable to get it back to how it was. All help is greatly appreciated..

IMAG0118_zps4b63f77f.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Set motor to TDC compression stroke on #1. There is a timing scale usually on the alternator side of the L20B.... set the notch on the pulley to the 0 (zero) point. To be sure (if you are not) that you are on the compression stroke, take the valve cover off and look at the two front valves. They should be closed with the cam lobes pointing up at 10 and 2 o'clock. If not turn the engine exactly one turn and center the timing mark and you're there. Take the distributor cap off and look where the rotor is. The wire above the rotor end is number one and the rest are 3 4 2 in a counter clockwise direction.

You have an EI dizzy called a 'Matchbox'. It was used on all '79 and up L series motors. If you read me the part number on the side... 22100-????? I can tell you what it's out of.

GET THAT TEMP GAUGE SENDER HOOKED UP AND WORKING.

It's right here.......

Set motor to TDC compression stroke on #1. There is a timing scale usually on the alternator side of the L20B.... set the notch on the pulley to the 0 (zero) point. To be sure (if you are not) that you are on the compression stroke, take the valve cover off and look at the two front valves. They should be closed with the cam lobes pointing up at 10 and 2 o'clock. If not turn the engine exactly one turn and center the timing mark and you're there. Take the distributor cap off and look where the rotor is. The wire above the rotor end is number one and the rest are 3 4 2 in a counter clockwise direction.

Arrange the plug wires 1 3 4 2 on the cap in a counter clockwise direction. Try to start it... if not, move all the wires one position around and try. If no start move then one more position over. If nothing move one last time and that has to be it.

Keep in the same 1342 order. This is easy stuff.

Then remove coil wire stick a plug in the end and lay on a grounded surface... crank motor... you have spark??? You have to have spark first.

quote name="RO510" post="868856" timestamp="1362787053"]
Had it running fine yesterday just a little high and my buddy switched around wires and since then we haven't beenable to get it back to how it was. All help is greatly appreciated..
IMAG0118_zps4b63f77f.jpg

I'm assuming the wires that were switched around were the spark plug wires??? Don't let your friend near your car!!!

Going to get new plugs and wires to see if that helps anything

Don't throw parts at it. If it was running fine yesterday it should run fine today. With all the fucking around the plugs are likely wet with gas and it's flooded. Take them out and dry them off.

• Like 1
Then remove coil wire stick a plug in the end and lay on a grounded surface... crank motor... you have spark??? You have to have spark first.

quote name="RO510" post="868856" timestamp="1362787053"]

Had it running fine yesterday just a little high and my buddy switched around wires and since then we haven't beenable to get it back to how it was. All help is greatly appreciated..[img=http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f94/240KindaGuy/IMAG0118_zps4b63f77f.jpg]

I'm assuming the wires that were switched around were the spark plug wires??? Don't let your friend near your car!!!

Don't throw parts at it. If it was running fine yesterday it should run fine today. With all the fucking around the plugs are likely wet with gas and it's flooded. Take them out and dry them off.

Cleaning plugs now, was getting a lot of back fire and flames. I think the wires may be bad tho just arched in my hand while they weren't connected to plugs. No visible tears in them tho.

Those NGK wire should last 15years minimum.

Had it running fine yesterday just a little high and my buddy switched around wires   why??????????????

Fire your friend.

Lol I know right he's actually just a guy who comes to my buddy's shop to get work done, he's cool but I haven't known him long enough to be his friend

Kick in the nuts.

I finally drove it :) It's miss firing a little bit and I need to re-seal thermostat housing It's leaking coolant. Just minor fixes before eagle rock, I'm excited