Installing Electric fan... need help wiring

zdorantes

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup. You're converting motion to electricity and electricity back into mechanical motion with lots of efficiency losses.Other wise you may as well have the mechanical one. The point of an electrical fan is to have it only when needed. At speeds over 35 there is enough air forced through the rad by forward motion that a fan isn't needed. Only idling at stops or slow in town needs a fan. You could start your car and drive 1,000 miles and never use it. This is a great savings on gas turning a belt and fan that's not needed..

I think becayse it wants to activate not only when it's hot but when the A/c is on.

Again at speeds over 30 or so there is plenty of air passing through the rad for AIR. I guess a separate additional switch for when the air is on wouldn' hurt.

While that works, what happens if someone else drives it and doesn't know or forgets to turn it on? Couldn't happen? Think worst case scenario. What if stolen? In for repairs and some kid warms it up and forgets it for 20 min. Can't happen?  I have an inline pipe with temp sender from an S12. Just cut an inch out of the lower rad hose and gear clamp it in. The wires go to a relay to turn the fan on. 

there is a way to wire both temp controlled switch and to clutch wire. think it might take a diode.

tstat switched power to relay, to switch on fan. connect clutch wire between stat switch and relay. use a diode in it to stop power feeling back thru to clutch. they call it diode isolated.

it would b cool to use another freon pressure switch in a/c system to switch on fan at select pressure(ie slow driving)

there is a way to wire both temp controlled switch and to clutch wire. think it might take a diode.

tstat switched power to relay, to switch on fan. connect clutch wire between stat switch and relay. use a diode in it to stop power feeling back thru to clutch. they call it diode isolated.

it would b cool to use another freon pressure switch in a/c system to switch on fan at select pressure(ie slow driving)

Yeah the wiring kit I have is wired to a temp switch and to the A/C clutch. But freon pressure switch what's that mean?

I'm confused by what you mean by this. I should cut out an inch from the lower rad hose and do what?

You... don't have to do anything. I was saying that the S12 has a temp sensor switch in a short length of pipe that mounts in line in the lower rad hose. For any other car you just have to cut the lower rad hose and slip in in and secure with gear clamps. The two wires from this temp switch go to a relay connected to the battery and to the fan. When the return rad water gets to about 190 the relay turns the fan on.

Some temp switches are mounted in the rad making them useless for this.