520 engine interchange

highdesertdatsun

I today bought a 66 520 .

I couldn't resist it. Green and ugly. I wanted to upgrade the drivetrain.

But much less extreme then some sweet creations on Ratsun.

I want to install a A16 that I have dug up. I think its a A16 maybe even

The sought after solex type. Its said this engine I'm going to inspect

With hopes to buy has a big finned aluminum oil pan and valve cover.

I was also told it has dual carbs. "SSS" engine so any tips on what

to look for.and pay for complete engine and 4 speed trans.

Would this be a roadster engine? Can a roadster engine fit into

A single headlight 520?Im a little downsy today how do I post pics?

Thanks for any help

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It would appear from your brief description to be either a roadster or RL411 SSS type R-1600 engine. Photo or engine number needed to tell which. Either one is a great engine but with the driver side exhaust you might have a fitment problem routing the exhaust even with the truck, can be overcome with ingunuity and luck. Clearance to the original engine intake air filter housing, if you have it, and the brake master cylinder might also arise.

If the oil pan is a box shape it is a roadster engine. If it has a "hammer head" swelling in the rear, it is a RL411 engine [or has had a mysterious transplant].

That rang a bell. The owner of the engine said he pulled it from a mid 70s411

He musta ment mid 60s. But from his description I thought roadster.

Ive never seen a 411 up close before. Thanks alot for help.

The curent apears to be original engine . Im missing starter.

Are there other catalog options like could i use a L series

starter. ? Thanks again.

Ok thanks it would seem i have a j1

in truck now. I going to look at r16 tomorrow

thanks again

OK, I am not trying to bring you down, but you need to look at replacement part costs for the R16, unless that engine is perfect, I would not purchace a R16 or a U20, these engines are expensive to rebuild, they are roadster engines, everything is expensive when it is connected to the roadster, and the 411sss R16 water pump availability is questionable also.

I put an L20b in my 1966 datsun 520, it is tight, but I can get every part I need from the local parts store.

So the r16 would be a great choice for engine upgrade for a j13 520?

It should fit quite well? 411 and 520 both have the same front frame/suspension!!

?thanks. Is 5 hondos a fair price for 411 sss and 4 spd trans?

They do not have the same front suspension, the 411 has a front coil spring suspension as you can see in the photo below.

Itson4_zpsa8efe727.jpg

Here is the suspension removed, as you can see, the 411 is a unibody vehicle.

2-13-132_zps7e41f27e.jpg

The 520 has a torsion bar suspension, it also has a frame, they are two completely different vehicles, build in totally different ways, the R16 oilpan is also very different, I do not believe that an oilpan/oil pickup tube were ever made to fit a 520/521 pickup.

I believe this is a J13 engine out of a 411, don't know for sure as I am not there to look at it.

Itson7_zps05f17bd7.jpg

Thanks wayno that gives me alot of info! My 520 has the same trans as that 411

& the oil pan looks very simular. I will take phone pics of my pan. So when I drive to

Phx tomorrow I have a small clue if this may work.The cat selling this engine

believes this is a easy swap but he stands to make 5 hondos and remove a

relic from.his yard.ha ha what have I done. My wife just found out about my

new green monster. I got the look. She said they have rehab for.this.

R51938 thats the block number.

I have no idea what that number means, some of the others on here might be able to tell you how many main bearings that block should have from that number, but I cannot.

Did you buy it?

You will need the engine and transmission complete, as the R16, U20, and Sd22/25 diesels have there own bellhousings/front cases, and you need that specific case pattern transmission for them engines.

To get back to one of your original questions, NO the 510 L16 starter will NOT fit the RL411 engine because the pull in solinoid is clocked wrong for the R1600 engine;s driver side position, The pull in solinoid will hit the steering geag worm housing or the "pitman arm" depending on which year's version you get. If you can't get a real type R starter there is a far out chance that you could transplant the R engine starter front end onto a 510 starter and end up with a properly clocked starter for the R1600 engine. I went through this 20 years ago and wound up rebuilding my original starter with piece parts that Nissan Yokohama was kind enough to send me. Datsun used to be proud that their old model cars were still on the road.

The main problem with using a R1600 in a PL411 series is that the exhaust has to come out through a hole in the left front fender, there is no clearance for the exhaust between the engine block and the steering gear box. The cast iron adapter between the exhaust manifolds and the newly routed exhaust is one piece you MUST get. The exhaust run from the adapter through the fender hole & the rest of the muffler assembly is and always was No Longer Available and must be fabricated. Clearance between this pipe and the left front tire on left turns requires that the cross section on the vertical run down to the muffler run needs a "D" shaped cross section with the flat on the engine block side. A good muffler shop with inch and a half tubing can do this if they want to.

As you may surmise, this is not an easy 2 hour install!

I admire your desire but want you to know what you are getting into before you blow a pile of money.

Thanks alot for the help. Did you post your L series install? Im gonna need some info

on that venture.Im gonna get the starter I found today in , it looks correct. Was in

a 110 pass side with solenoid on top. Also has small nose cone.Im crossing my

fingers it will work.If so I know where two more are.I need to write down all of the

Datsuns I found today. Alot of great parts. I got a pair of factory tail gate chains

for my 520. I had fun today. Looked so many Datsuns. Thanks again.

Thanks alot for the help. Did you post your L series install? Im gonna need some info

on that venture.Im gonna get the starter I found today in , it looks correct. Was in

a 110 pass side with solenoid on top. Also has small nose cone.Im crossing my

fingers it will work.If so I know where two more are.I need to write down all of the

Datsuns I found today. Alot of great parts. I got a pair of factory tail gate chains

for my 520. I had fun today. Looked so many Datsuns. Thanks again.

If your talking to me about the L series install, mine will not likely help you a lot, as I dropped my 1966 520 cab onto an 86 nissan 720 frame, but here is the link to my build.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/27671-1966-datsun-520-kingcab-project-act-2/page__view__findpost__p__545211__hl__wayno__fromsearch__1

My truck is another one of my creations, not for everyone, and not all will like it.