stolen distributor wiring help please

laniadude

someone stole my father in laws dizzy out of his truck.  they took the distributor, plug wires, and coil.  they ripped the red and green wires from the distribution block (see image).  and theres four wires that were leading to distributor: 2 greens and the black/white and the black/red. (see image) I only have a points dizzy, coil and ballast resistor that I had from my truck when I upgraded to electronic ignition.  the problem is Im not too sure how to wire it up cuz the points distributor only had the ground wire from the coil.  I hooked up the black/white to the ballast, then the other end of the ballast is the black/white to the + side of the coil along with black/red to the + side also.  I turned the motor but the resistor started to smoke.  Not too sure if it burned cuz I looked under the resistor and the coiled wire was still intact.  the green and red wires are not hooked up and neither are the 2 green wires that were leading to the distributor.  Any info would help.   Thanks

btw the reason i hooked up the points the way i did was because i saw an online picture of the wiring diagram and tried that method. but failed.

2013-02-18_16-38-45_804.jpg

2013-02-18_16-39-13_527.jpg

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the '78 type EI dizzo wiring?

No prob......what you need is the wire off the negative post on your coil to go to the points dist....... measure full 12v into the resistor, wire the positive side of the coil into the lower volt side of the resistor

(not sure what that value actually is but must be below 12v or you'll BBQ your coil :)).  When new, a resistor will smoke a bit.

Good luck :D

--Ray

olddatsuns.com in tech section should have a diagram.

blk wht wire is the 12volts ON and goes to the ballast resisitor and then theres a wire that completes the the circut to the + side coil. I dont know the color of this wire. On 521s its usually a duoble lugged,meaning 2 wires comming out of it. 1 is the the contuniation and the other the HOT start

You have to make sure the wire comming out of ballast goes to the + side coil. I dont think it would be another blk white wire but Im not a 620 expert. You have to ohm it out. Also you need to find the Hot start wire. You can pull the starter wire at the dtarter and then use a test light or volt meter to put key in START and find this wire as it would go to the + side coil also. Most likely the double lugged wire. On 510s it was Y spliced under the tape.

SIMPLE

persoanlly I would but a 78 back in and just hook up the grn and red as that really all that would be broken. and it has the box already in there.

If you going to install the pint dizzy make sure you have the matching pedastal timming plate.

521 Datsungatherer lives in Tacoma maybe he can help

someone stole my father in laws dizzy out of his truck.  they took the distributor, plug wires, and coil.  they ripped the red and green wires from the distribution block (see image).

What's sad is that we know this has to be a Datsun person. RIP society. 

Looks like the '78 type EI dizzo wiring?

No prob......what you need is the wire off the negative post on your coil to go to the points dist....... measure full 12v into the resistor, wire the positive side of the coil into the lower volt side of the resistor

(not sure what that value actually is but must be below 12v or you'll BBQ your coil :)).  When new, a resistor will smoke a bit.

Good luck :D

--Ray

i was just wondering about this because I measured 11.84v on the BW wire and plugged that into the resistor. It only read that when the key is on.  then I measured the other end of the resistor and it also read 11.84.  you said it is supposed to be lower than the input voltage.  did i measure that right? the BR wire had no voltage key on or off.  according to my 74 620 the BW goes into the resistor and a BW comes out then links to the BR and into the + side of the coil.  so I copied that.   I tried turning the motor and it didnt fire up. gonna double check the timing tomorrow and if there is any spark at all. 

i was just wondering about this because I measured 11.84v on the BW wire and plugged that into the resistor. It only read that when the key is on.  then I measured the other end of the resistor and it also read 11.84.  you said it is supposed to be lower than the input voltage.  did i measure that right? the BR wire had no voltage key on or off.  according to my 74 620 the BW goes into the resistor and a BW comes out then links to the BR and into the + side of the coil.  so I copied that.   I tried turning the motor and it didnt fire up. gonna double check the timing tomorrow and if there is any spark at all. 

That is a voltage dropping resistor, something's not right if the out voltage is no different than the in voltage........what would be the point then? lol.  With that full batt voltage your coil will overheat before too long and your points will pit quicker. I am not sure of the color code on what wires are what....BUT key on wire into the resistor is batt voltage, key off = nil.

Good luck!

--Ray  

OK so I got the truck running. The wiring I did was actually correct. I just didn't crank it long enough for fuel to get to the Carb. Guess I panicked when I saw smoke from the resistor.lol so i just pumped the gas pedal a few times and it fired right up. It idles nicely and revs smoothly when I press the gas pedal. It needs a tune up though. Been sitting for almost a year. Thanks for your help guys!!!