BEEBANI's Disc Brakes with 14" Wheels

DatsunDavies

So the Z32 calipers/Izuzu rotors will not fit behind 14's. Like this.

brake2.jpeg

These are stock Ford Courier wheels, but probably the same as factory Datsun.

brake3.jpeg

I "test fitted" the caliper and rotor behind my 14's to a startling surprise.

brake4.jpeg

I will need a spacer, but it looks like they will clear.

brake5.jpeg

Granted, I wont know where the caliper sits inside the rim until its on the bracket on the truck. But with an inch of washers as a spacer I managed to clear the back of the face and the barrel.

brake7.jpeg

brake6.jpeg

This test was done assuming the caliper sits on the rotor relatively close to this.

brake1.jpeg

The question is, do you think this will work given the tolerances in the pictures?

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Until it is mounted it is hard to say. I would say that if you get everything to mount exactly like the pictures (+ spacer) it should work, be we don't know if that will happen yet. If you are good with fabbing you may be able to make that work though.

A one inch spacer is a little sketchy. Having worked 2 tire stores, I've seen some bad news with spacers. Thinner spacers aren't so bad, but when they get beyond a quarter inch you have to watch the lugs real close for awhile. One inch allows for some flex in the studs which means loose lug nuts. All I can say is watch the nuts real close until you're sure everything is seated well.

A one inch spacer is a little sketchy. Having worked 2 tire stores, I've seen some bad news with spacers. Thinner spacers aren't so bad, but when they get beyond a quarter inch you have to watch the lugs real close for awhile. One inch allows for some flex in the studs which means loose lug nuts. All I can say is watch the nuts real close until you're sure everything is seated well.

I'm sure I wont need an inch. If I had to use a 1" spacer I would get the ones where the spacer bolts to the hub and has studs pressed into it for the wheel. From what I've gathered they are safer than a regular spacer.  

I would not do it with spacers,now 1" bolt on's become adapters no matter how you look at it.Just step up to a 15" and save your self any issues down the road.Or better yet why even go with those calipers do the standard hardbody one's and call it good,i think you need a 1/4" spacer to fit with 14" wheels,can some one correct me if i am wrong.

So the Z32 calipers/Izuzu rotors will not fit behind 14's. Like this.

brake2.jpeg

These are stock Ford Courier wheels, but probably the same as factory Datsun.

brake3.jpeg

I "test fitted" the caliper and rotor behind my 14's to a startling surprise.

brake4.jpeg

I will need a spacer, but it looks like they will clear.

brake5.jpeg

Granted, I wont know where the caliper sits inside the rim until its on the bracket on the truck. But with an inch of washers as a spacer I managed to clear the back of the face and the barrel.

brake7.jpeg

brake6.jpeg

This test was done assuming the caliper sits on the rotor relatively close to this.

brake1.jpeg

The question is, do you think this will work given the tolerances in the pictures?

its all about the design of the wheel, as you can see. in the 1st 2 photos, the bead seat is for a 14" tire, but then the wheel 'steps down' to what looks like 12" or maybe less.

on that last photo it looks like the calipers will fit. if anything you MIGHT be able to sand/file down a hair on the caliper and or wheel to make it fit as is

as long as the spacer/hardware is of correctly rated material, it should be all good. if one were to run a 1" spacer it would be best to buy the one that allows the spacer to be bolt up using the stock (or upgraded) studs, and that comes with its own studs, so youre not running super long studs, thatll definitely put extra stress on the studs.

now that i think of it, i ran 25mm spacers (1 inch) on my 240, of the same design i just mentioned.

and nuts are supposed to be retorqued shortly after initial torque regardless of running spacers or not

• 2 weeks later...

Alright so the brakes are installed and I have about 70 miles on them. I had a heck of a time bleeding them as I didn't realize until later to unbolt the calipers and bleed them upside-down so the bleed screw was at the highest point. Also, I ended up going with a 1" adapter just to err on the safe side. I didn't need an inch but the factory studs are already so short I wanted as much threads in the lug nuts as possible. As a note to people looking to do this conversion in the future: I used a 15/16" master cylinder out of a 280ZX four wheel disc car utilizing the residual valves on the bottom side of the M/C . The pedal feel is firm but way more confidence inspiring than a pedal that nearly goes to the floor with glazed and poorly adjusted drums. Here are the obligatory pictures.

Here's first test fit.

brakepic3.jpg

Spinning freely with no contact behind 14's.

brakepic21.jpg

And here is everything buttoned up. The 1" adapter pushed the wheel out a little too far and the tire rubbed the fender really bad. I hand pulled the fender a bit and got some clearance back. Oh, and how's that for a rising sun?

postdiscbrake2.jpg

Thanks everyone for their input. And thanks for the welcome K_trip. I've been lurking for a solid 5 years- I guess it was about time I join. I'm surprised I haven't seen your truck around town yet. I am always on the lookout for other Datsuns.

This also means that I have a set of 6x5.5 Rotas for sale....

CONGRATS

Big improvement, isn't it? B)

My bleeders are located on the top of the caliper.

Perhaps you have the right and left swapped?

I was using this picture as a reference (http://community.ratsun.net/topic/20432-disc-brake-installed-on-a-drum-brake-truck/). I suppose its possible that the caliper was just set on there for the picture without being specified right or left. Does your "NISSAN" read down then as opposed to up like mine on the passenger side? I'm just glad it doesn't effect functionality.

And yes, huge improvement. I really want to see how they do coming down a big hill like HWY 9.

Yep, we have some "hills" ... you'll be happy to be able to stop more like a modern vehicle now.

I found the real test are those panic stops in heavy traffic on Hwy 17 :w00t:

This is how I mounted them, this is the drivers side caliper.

So I do have mine set up on opposite sides as yours. I'm glad everything still works apart from making it a little akward to bleed. But you should only have to do that once in a long while right? Thanks again K_trip.

I think as long as you're not leaking fluid, no point in touching it for a long time.

Your truck looks great, and now it stops well too - what's next on your list?

BTW - That's a great story about your truck and family!

Nope, no leaks. *fingers crossed*

Thanks for the compliments. I'm glad you found the story.

Next plans for the truck are many and varied. The ultimate goal is for it to be a comfortable tourer. I would like to be able to take it to Canby or Long Beach without feeling thoroughly beaten up upon arrival. So specifically, sooner than later, I will be putting coilovers on the front. I like the idea of using motorcycle coilovers like Mike Spreadbury. Also, within the next two weeks I would like to get a pair of S30 seats because my girlfriend and I are taking the truck down to San Diego for Spring Break. The bench fabric is torn and the foam is collapsed and its extremely uncomfortable for anything over an hour drive. The Z24 is almost too reliable but the VG30ET is going in after finals along with its 26gal. tank. VG620 Supertanker.

Eventually it will get paint and the rims should be re-chromed. But those aren't to high on the priority list.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry brain fart ... i'm just super anxious to get rid of these drums ... BeeBani is the man to ask about the bracket i hear ... i'll hit him up, thanks man

Beebani is the guy to talk to. He has brackets for the hardbody calipers as well. The brackets are different so be thorough. He'll also set you straight but if you want to run ZX calipers you want 1990 300ZX *NON-TURBO* calipers. They are 26mm wide and will match the rotors.

Hope this helps.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...