Datsun 620 Rear License Plate Mount

DATSTON

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now, that picture, the licence plate bracket is missing, and a piece of heavy strapping is used to mount the plate to the original bed bracket (which the original license plate holder would have attached to).  I don't have any pics of the original holder.  None of my trucks use it, as the plates are bolted to the bumper.  It's rather not lose my taillights, and I get bumped in stop/go traffic at least once a year.  2 folks have damaged their grilles on my step bumpers, I've never lost a taillight.  Just takes a tiny tap if there's no bumper.

Now, that picture, the licence plate bracket is missing, and a piece of heavy strapping is used to mount the plate to the original bed bracket (which the original license plate holder would have attached to).  I don't have any pics of the original holder.  None of my trucks use it, as the plates are bolted to the bumper.  It's rather not lose my taillights, and I get bumped in stop/go traffic at least once a year.  2 folks have damaged their grilles on my step bumpers, I've never lost a taillight.  Just takes a tiny tap if there's no bumper.

yea theres quite a few things for me to figure out in the rear.  the previous owner did some funny things to the rear.  ill try to snap pics after work today.  

Well, this got me to walk out to the parking lot and look under the back of my truck.

DATSTON - my license plate is mounted to a stamped steel bracket that is spot welded to the bed, in pretty much the same location as in the last picture I posted.  The light mounts there too.  I would guess your truck would still have all of this, unless there has been serious damage done (or the PO had a stupid reason to cut it out of there), because it looks like it's out of the way of an aftermarket bumper.  I'll bet you can remove that bumper, and just move your plate to the old mount.

Sorry, I wish I had my camera with me today :crying:

hey no worries man, i appreciate the help.  ill remove the giant steel plate and have a look at it over the weekend.

Now, that picture, the licence plate bracket is missing, and a piece of heavy strapping is used to mount the plate to the original bed bracket (which the original license plate holder would have attached to). 

Good eye, datsunaholic.  That's my truck in the picture.  It had big heavy diamond plate bumper when i got the truck.  And when I removed it I found the bottom part of the stock license plate bumper had been cut off.  So I bolted a piece of aluminum flat bar to what was left of the bracket to give me something to attach the plate to.

My plate was on the rear hatch of the bed. So we removed it to the underbed metal frame we added to the car, that houses the rear lights and the plate. Now I can remove the bed and still have all the things needed to drive on the car.

rear before

large_27211225_CzRN.jpg

In here you can see the metal frame where the lights and plate is now housed. It's before painting it all black.

large_27549903_r2yM.jpg

rear after

large_27720595_m0Mm.jpg

Guest Rick-rat

I am in agreement with Datsunaholic, have a big old stepbumper and have been rear ended with no damage to the rest of the truck. Mine also serves as an umbrella mount for rainy or hot sunny get togethers and no shade. My plate is mounted to the bumper 

And just to prove my point on the step bumper, some lady ran into me tonight at a stop light when she tried to change lanes AFTER stopping.  Barely felt it, and she didn't do any damage to either car.  But it would have knocked out a taillight if the bumper wasn't there.  Or maybe she would have just cleared it, who knows.

• 2 weeks later...