Stiff Steering

PureWhite

Hey Guys & Gals!

Wanted to know if MOST ALL '70-'79 620's steering pretty stiff from a complete stop?

I had my steering checked out & found out that the bearings are worn but not dead (yet) but wanted to know if any of you guys have this issue & feel its normal.

Lets put it this way, If I am trying to parallel park I probably will get over it and move on to another spot because its to hard.

Once I start moving I am able to turn fairly easy but from a stop to turn its pretty stiff.

Any and all info would be great!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Are You New To This Truck?

Whenever Someone Drives Mine All They Do Is Bitch And Complain

All The 620's I've Driven Feel Almost The Same

Try Greasing The Joints

I've had the truck a little over a year. It's not my main means of trans.

I'll try greasing the joints.

Good to know I'm not the only one with this problem.

Thanks

Not joints (although this won't hurt) grease the king pins. Take the front wheels off and turn the steering wheel. Its the thing that looks like a large door hinge. It will have an upper and lower grease nipple on it. Clean dirt off the nipples and pump grease in and you should see it squish out. If difficult try heating it with a propane torch. If you get them loosened up... Keep well greased

I had king pins in my 521 and they were a total bitch! Replaced the pin and bearings and within 6 months it was stiff again. I'll never own a king pin vehicle. 

• Like 1
Not joints (although this won't hurt) grease the king pins. Take the front wheels off and turn the steering wheel. Its the thing that looks like a large door hinge. It will have an upper and lower grease nipple on it. Clean dirt off the nipples and pump grease in and you should see it squish out. If difficult try heating it with a propane torch. If you get them loosened up... Keep well greased

I had king pins in my 521 and they were a total bitch! Replaced the pin and bearings and within 6 months it was stiff again. I'll never own a king pin vehicle. 

Thanks for the run down!

This is likely the stiffness source. Next would be the idler arm and the ball joints. Take note of any worn (loose) ones and replace later. Look especially hard at the idler arm. It should turn side to side but not up or down or anything else. The steering box will be full of 80 W 90 GL-4 gear oil and unlikely tight unless dry

I could be wrong, but this sounds like someone that has never had a vehicle without power steering or only had/drove small cars.

He said once it is moving it is fairly easy, so unless it's binding when the front wheels are off the ground, it is what it is.

They are hard to turn when not moving, I had the same complaint about my 47 chevy PU when it was in stock configuration.