New 620 Owner

DATSTON

how's it going?  Just picked up a 74 datsun 620 tonight.  I want to replace the drivers side and passenger side door locks because it came with these apc round key locks that don't work very well.  would someone be able to direct me to a good online store or local socal datsun parts store that would have them?  It would be good to have these sites saved for the future too.

i haven't taken any pictures yet, but heres one from the craigslist ad.

3M23Jc3N55G85M95J6d2a6c44e2c24b921cee.jp

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yup i'm from california near the 605/210 area.  if i can pick up the parts from a local datsun parts store, then that would be perfect.  online stores are great, but i hate having to wait for parts.  i couldnt get the drivers side door to lock, so i left it unlocked and i'm a little worried about it.  the sooner i can get the parts, the better.  it shouldn't be too hard to replace the locks right?  my plan was to remove the door panels and i figured it would be self explanatory from there.

another thing i want to replace asap are the brake lines.  when pressing on the brakes, it doesnt feel like theres any pressure there.  i have to push the pedal through the floor in order to stop lol.  should i go ahead and replace them with steel braided lines now or should i just stick with the normal rubber lines?  i do plan on going with a 280z brake conversion later.  

again, any good datsun online parts store or local datsun parts store recommendations? 

i found these on ebay for $40.  do these seem legit and will it work on my 74 datsun?  it should just replace my current door locks without any issues right?  i'm not sure if i'll be needing any other parts or not.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DATSUN-620-120Y-B110-B210-B310-DOOR-LOCKS-WITH-KEYS-/261166270203?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cceb906fb&vxp=mtr

i found a local datsun shop and will be picking up some steel braided brake lines this friday.

since i picked up the 620 last night, i've been stoked to get things going on it.  i'm just thinking off the top of my head about the things ill be doing to it.  after i replace the door locks and brake lines, ill be lowering the truck some more and getting a nice set of wheels.  now my question is, what kind of wheel choices do we have with 6x5.5?  if i convert to 280z brakes, ill be 5x114 right?

Disc brakes don't bolt on but there are kits made by BEEBANI and maybe others and you supply the calipers and rorors. Not sure which ones maybe the later 720 or Hardbody. They look sharp. Your current rims won't clear them though I believe. Might want to go 15" GM, Ford, Toyota, Isuzu, Mazda, 6 bolt. 

Disc brakes don't bolt on but there are kits made by BEEBANI and maybe others and you supply the calipers and rorors. Not sure which ones maybe the later 720 or Hardbody. They look sharp. Your current rims won't clear them though I believe. Might want to go 15" GM, Ford, Toyota, Isuzu, Mazda, 6 bolt. 

good to know, thanks man.  ill do some more research on this.  finding some 6 lug wheels that i like is going to be a mission lol.  i think i might just grab a set of diamond racing steelies for now.

I had custom offset Rally wheels made for something like $100 each

On Craigslist you can find several OEM alloy wheels even cheaper.

I guess each of us have a different threshold of what "cheap" is  :blush:

$100 each will come out to $400.

this is $200 for a set of 4.  i thought it was pretty cheap.  widening a set of steelies will cost about $50 each in labor right?

Sorry - My Bad, I missed that "set of 4" bit.

If you want wider, these ENKEI wheels look pretty nice: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pts/3613700975.html

You might want something larger than 15", here's some Toyota 17": http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/pts/3610554826.html

Just trying to help!

haha no worries, it happens to all of us.  those wheels are sick, but how will 15x10s fit on the 620?  i dont really want to poke.

thanks for the help man, much appreciated.

GM, Ford, Toyota, Isuzu, Mazda, 6 bolt. And that's off the top of my head, I'm sure there are lots more like Courrier Chevy Luv. Many of these came with a factory mag option and there are lots of after market stuff for them to. Then there's the later D21, Pathfinder, Xterra, Escalade rims. Not my taste but looks good on your truck.

I'm not a fan of the "poke" look on my cars either, so the 15x10 may be too much for you. I'm running 15x8 American Racing wheels and they're a perfect fit. You can see pictures in my build thread in my signature for reference

yea i was thinking 15x8 would be perfect too.  what types of offset, center bore, and etc. am i looking for?

GM, Ford, Toyota, Isuzu, Mazda, 6 bolt. And that's off the top of my head, I'm sure there are lots more like Courrier Chevy Luv. Many of these came with a factory mag option and there are lots of after market stuff for them to. Then there's the later D21, Pathfinder, Xterra, Escalade rims. Not my taste but looks good on your truck.

thanks for the suggestions, but i want to try to stay away from wheels from newer trucks.  i dont really like the looks of newer wheels on older trucks.  different strokes for different folks i suppose.  i know older truck wheels might work, ill keep an eye out for them.  as of now, some widened looking steelies would be the choice until i can find some nice old school JDM truck wheels.

i plan on upgrading the brakes, so i need something that would fit over some bigger calipers.

thanks for all the help so far guys, much appreciated.

since we're all in the helping mood, mind helping with a few more things?  i want to change the oil and possibly clean the carb (previous owners claimed it was rebuilt), but im not sure what to use.  whats a recommended motor oil and filter to use for an L20b?  the motor runs like butter, but has some slight idling issues when warming up.  nothing major, i just have to give it some gas for it to hold idle until it warms up a bit.

I'm not sure on wheel offset cause the wheels I've got were on the truck when I got it and I haven't been able to find exactly what type of American Racing wheels I do have. The hub core if I remember correctly is 100mm. As far as the cold idle issue it's really not a problem. I just put some weight on the gas pedal for a few minutes till it idles on its own. Engine oil wise, here's what I was told is good for these motors:

A note on engine oil. When these cars were new engine oil had a lot of Zinc in it. This was designed to work with the flat style rockers and prevent wear. In the late 90's they took all the zinc out of the oil. Modern oil will wear your engine out very rapidly. There are two solutions to this. Either get Redline break in addative and add it to regular oil. Or do as I do and use Valvoline VR1 racing oil which already has the zinc in it. 20W50.

I'm not sure on wheel offset cause the wheels I've got were on the truck when I got it and I haven't been able to find exactly what type of American Racing wheels I do have. The hub core if I remember correctly is 100mm. As far as the cold idle issue it's really not a problem. I just put some weight on the gas pedal for a few minutes till it idles on its own. Engine oil wise, here's what I was told is good for these motors:

A note on engine oil. When these cars were new engine oil had a lot of Zinc in it. This was designed to work with the flat style rockers and prevent wear. In the late 90's they took all the zinc out of the oil. Modern oil will wear your engine out very rapidly. There are two solutions to this. Either get Redline break in addative and add it to regular oil. Or do as I do and use Valvoline VR1 racing oil which already has the zinc in it. 20W50.

thanks again.  i guess ill be going with Valvoline oil.  I use Redline oil in my 370z and its always hard to find a place that already has them on the shelf.  

are most people here running Valvoline in their L series motors?  if so, then ill stick with that.  im glad i asked, i was about to stick some normal off the shelf synthetic motor oil in there.