Casually lookin for a 510 2-door for track

Howdy I'm new to both datsuns and this site. But I have always loved them. Not as big a fan of the z series hatchbacks. But loved the bluebirds. Looking for one around California. Cheap. Maybe even a rolling shell. Any tips on motors if I find one with out one. I'm trying to make it for track driving. So looks don't matter.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I might have to. Idk what class I want to race in yet. Though I'm not in a big rush to get one right now gotta make some project room first. Gotta sell a trailer and move my buddy's spec e30 back to his house. What classes for the Datsun are there. I'm in California to so groups around here only.

I have a former SCCA ITC class race car.. qualifies as vintage, been raced since '89, have all the log books, i think it won norcal SCCA ITC class championship in either 2009 or 2010.  Rough car, its not a beauty queen, its been raced for 20+ year, wrecked a couple times and rebuilt... but has a nice rebello L16 in it, total blast as a vintage track toy, and you could probably get it ready for ITC class racing with a weekend of work and some money.  2 sets 13" real panasport race wheels.  currently has 240Z 4speed in it, but i have original trannies if you want for ITC class.  weighs about 1900 lbs per log books.  I drove the hell out of it at Laguna Seca and Thunderhill last summer and not a hiccup.   Its also registered for street and has a plate... no blinkers, but all other lights work.   

My mechanic that helps me with stuff raced 510's back in the late 80's and has race / built numerous race cars (he runs a Corvette performance shop now), and when he got it on the lift his comment  was "so, this thing has been wrecked hard at least once, but its put together right, its a solid race car for its class, but sure not much to look at it... this thing should be a blast on the track."... and then as we went through the logbooks, he realized he knew the car, from back in the day.  Kind of funny.

If you to build a NICE race car from scratch, probably not where you want to start.  But if you want a vintage cool track toy for relatively cheap for next month and all summer and many summers to come and want to tinker and clean it up and make it yours, this is a solid fun cool little vintage race car.    I don't really want to sell, but if somebody wanted it, i would part with it.. i have far too many cars at the moment... nothing gets driven enough.

I might have to. Idk what class I want to race in yet. Though I'm not in a big rush to get one right now gotta make some project room first. Gotta sell a trailer and move my buddy's spec e30 back to his house. What classes for the Datsun are there. I'm in California to so groups around here only.

if you want CHEAP, you should try ITC class if SCCA still doing it.     I have a trailer i might also sell with my car if you are interested.  simple open trailer.   I talked to CHUMP also and you could race with CHUMP for fun while you you build a class car for SCCA.   FYI, i have a Spec E30 before this 510..  .. I LOVE the way a SPEC E30 car handles on teh track.. but the 510 is more fun.  Less HP on this, but its lighter, and LIGHTNESS MATTERS.. Lightness is fun, its tossible as hell, it way more cool and vintage than any Spec E30 ever could be...  gets TONS of attention every track day...

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.