"La Gloria" 71 Goon l20b going SR20

Picked up this 71 Goon from FireFighterZach early this week. Zach named her "Daisy" found his build thread in the 510/1600 section and in the classified section here on Ratsun.
http://community.ratsun.net/topic/50081-and-time-has-come-my-first-datsun-71-510-goon-daisy/
Turns out this goon has some history of multiple owners.Maybe someone here can shine some light on the ownership history,
Anyways, I could really careless about how much of a slut Daisy has been these years :devil: .
Even though this goon has been around, she is still very much clean and untampered! :angel:
Trailered her back from Portland, Oregon to her new home in the Bay Area, California.

8731458853_a0c7e4097e_z.jpg
She can now be my slut and my 72 Box Flared companion. I have big plans for "Daisy" first a name change to "La Gloria" in part to her new owner (me) and on her way to Glory.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know much about L series motors and could careless about this one. There is some sort of issue with the head but I wont even bother fixing. I already have two engines in sight but can't make up my mind about which one to pick.

Both will cost me the exact same thing from different suppliers.

S14 SR20DE with a 5 speed tranny, ECU and all sensors including MAF. 140Hp stock

then there is this

S15 SR20DET with a 6 speed Tranny, ECU, MAF and all sensors. 250hp stock

There should be similar expenses in the installation process with a few exceptions.

Extra expenses along with the S15 involve a FMIC and piping, BOV, boost controller, and a wideband. I dont intend to go all crazy in modifiyng either engine with injectors, cams, sprockets or Z32 mafs.

I want it as stock as possible for reliabilty. I had a hard time finding a local tune shop for SR's

I read somewhere about no speed sensor on the S15 tranny because its on the Rear End. Any solutions or suggestions to this problem?

I am also considering to swap out the stock rear end to a Mustang 8.8 Rear end with lsd 373 gears and disc brakes. The rear ends I am looking at have 4X114 bolt pattern. All I know is i would have to cut off brackets and either fabricate or swap those from the original goon rear end. Again I dont know much about this procedure but some insight would be appreciated.

Nice! Original paint?

I can tell its been repainted but its a good one, likely with cheap paint. I dont see much bondo work but if it does have any under the repaint it must be minimal and done correctly. Body is straight and rust free. There are three spots were body filler was used excessively  in the left fender, and front left valance and upper front support but I can tell it was done well after the repaint.

A bit of an update:

The S15 supplier Soken Trade Corp in North Hollywood, CA pulled a Bait and switch one me. We had agreed on $1500 Friday, confirmed on Saturday and I was suppose to have my friend pick up Monday.

Monday comes, and my boy is there to pick up, he checks out the engine and sends me pictures. Everything looked legit so I am about to give them my CC info to wrap up the deal. They tell my freind the total was $2,500, wtf!! So I get on the phone with them to figure out why it jumped up from $1,500 to $2,500. His BS story was that while he was out for lunch break someone else sold my engine and was gone. But that the $2,500 engine was supposedly JDM and had high performance parts plus had lower mileage. Yeah Right!

I could have tought him a lesson on SR's but I was just so pissed off that I just told my boy to roll outta there .

I mean either case milage is always unknown besides most importers claim low mileage because the majority of these engines come from Japan due to their emission regulations and their heavy traffic, and by looking at the pictures my boy sent me there was nothing that looked modified. Just a stock S15! About the whole JDM pitch , lmao I don't know of any USDM S15 SR20det. Do you?

No such thing.

I bought a JDM front clip with 60KM on it. Got the clip.. it was a VG30DETT. Cluster in the dash was just set in there not hooked up and was from an NA Z32 with 60Km on it. The whole JDM import thing is a scam. If you buy a JDM engine plan on tearing it all the way down and inspecting everything. Most engines will need to be rebuilt.

The engine ran in the 60km front clip started up and ran great. But I think I can hear a wrist pin noise.. I've put some miles on the engine and sound hasn't got any worse.

• Like 1

What I know of the car.

It was found on CL up here, bought by a kid who went by Bunchy here. Bunchy was a kid, and didnt know what he wanted or what he was doing, and sold it. Next up, Lingurade bought the wagon from Bunchy, had some good plans. Ultimately, I think he liked his WRX more... fair enough. That is when FFZ bought it. And you probably know all of what Zach told you.

No such thing.

I bought a JDM front clip with 60KM on it. Got the clip.. it was a VG30DETT. Cluster in the dash was just set in there not hooked up and was from an NA Z32 with 60Km on it. The whole JDM import thing is a scam. If you buy a JDM engine plan on tearing it all the way down and inspecting everything. Most engines will need to be rebuilt.

The engine ran in the 60km front clip started up and ran great. But I think I can hear a wrist pin noise.. I've

put some miles on the engine and sound hasn't got any worse.[/quote

How much did u pay for the entire clip? I have seen some go around $3k and up.

Yeah whatever engine I pick, I will end up refreshing the basics (oil pump, guides, seals,head gasket,water pump, thermo, clutch)

What I know of the car.

It was found on CL up here, bought by a kid who went by Bunchy here. Bunchy was a kid, and didnt know what he wanted or what he was doing, and sold it. Next up, Lingurade bought the wagon from Bunchy, had some good plans. Ultimately, I think he liked his WRX more... fair enough. That is when FFZ bought it. And you probably know all of what Zach told you.

Great info. Very much appreciated on the ownership history. Thanks!

No such thing.

The engine ran in the 60km front clip started up and ran great. But I think I can hear a wrist pin noise.. I've

put some miles on the engine and sound hasn't got any worse.[/quote

How much did u pay for the entire clip? I have seen some go around $3k and up.

Yeah whatever engine I pick, I will end up refreshing the basics (oil pump, guides, seals,head gasket,water pump, thermo, clutch)

$2100 shipped to my door. It was literally the front of the Z cut and freighted to me. The good thing was I was able to part out the rest of the front clip and make almost $1000 back.. lol. I've still got parts laying around from it.

Yeah, you gotta at least do the basics. You'll be good.

I kno where are da PIX! What is a Datto Project thread without pix right? Some soon to follow....

Here is another update:

•Official drivetrain- S14 SR20DE NA with 5spd Tranny (On Freight from Engine Land, Inc.) ETA-2/27

•Official Exhaust- OBX Forza TB31 2.5in. Round Muffler(Delivered 2/15 from Ebay Seller :Tuning-Depot)

•Official Front Brakes- ZX sruts (came with the car and need modifying but also have some modified ones I bought from James a year ago at the Sac swapmeet at Dave's Shop)

Current Shopping list:

• 255 LPH fuel pump
  • Custom tranny mount
  • Engine mounts
  • Shortened Driveshaft
  • •Camber Plates & Top Hats
  • •Strut inserts
  • •Bump Steer Spacers
  • Can/ Am easy wiring Relay Box
  • Eyebrow Trim Set
  • •SR20DET Exhaust Flange
  • •KA24DE 4-2-1 Headers
  • 88-89 Mustang 8.8 Rear end with LSD and Rear Disc Brakes
  • Inegra Seats
  • Wink Mirror 5 Panel mirror
  • JVC Deck
  • Grant Steering Wheel
  • Steering Wheel Adapter
  •  
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

weird..had to get on my sisters Vista desktop to find the pics on my Samsung??!! I have XP.  well here we go with La Gloria my pic Journey..

8715120197_8e0e122afc_z.jpg

Weed, CA on our way to Portland, OR

8716237950_1dce13316c_z.jpg

Midnight Transaction... Thanks God we didn't get mugged by Zach and his posi (j/p) :huh:

8715117085_8571698271_z.jpg

Ready to roll back to Cali..

8716230168_a67371e9d6_z.jpg

but first how bout a cup of Joe and some Mickey D's!

8716344960_89b17754a0_z.jpg

A couple of weeks later in her new home in Cali the ABF Freight had a special delivery for La Gloria.

8715236741_b3516820a1_z.jpg

Lucked out! I happen to be home and the delivery driver was cool and laid back. Did not charge me to use the liftgate. We chopped it up about cars for a bit and I sent him off to his next delivery with a couple of nice cold bottles of water and a gatorade (it was a HOT Day)

8715227811_d4c7b97790_z.jpg

Driver was surprised tto see my engine well packaged and told me horror stories of poorly packaged motors. He told me how some would skid off the pallet and get beat up on forklifts. I was glad to see my motor arrive intact!  :thumbup: 

8715230857_87def9460b_z.jpg

After having La Gloria parked for over three weeks, I decided it was time to crank her over. I bought it from FFZ not knowing the condition of the L20B and he said it had some issues with the valves. I cannot remember quite how his story went.

So I fired up the motor and would immediately turn off. I tried several times and I would have to hold the gas pedal in or pump it in order to keep it from dying. Then came a huge back fire that sounded like metal to metal knocking. I figured it must have been one of the valves was slamming into the piston.

Off came the valve cover and a visual inspection. Nothing looked out of place other than a couple of spring retainers chipped or gouged on places that seemed from someone trying to maybe remove them in the past.

My focus then went to the Weber and the fuel delivery. I noticed that I would have to hold the butterfly manually in a certain position in order for the motor to idle without dying.

8716415846_2658097deb_z.jpg

The electric choke was disconnected, could this have been the problem?

8715299501_a53a1f744b_z.jpg

The linkage felt loose and floppy and had no control over the butterfly.

8716422902_e41b2a002c_z.jpg

8715305811_c6b4818a1d_z.jpg

That little spring was loose, I am not familiar with webers, it didnt look right but it was leading back into the electirc choke assembly.

8715308649_c6e52b1e87_z.jpg

8715311701_cb51166ddd_z.jpg

out came the Weber for cleaning and disassembly.The Allen bolts were loose of course and so were the bolts holding the Weber onto the plate,

After a thorough cleaning and fiddling with the electric choke assembly. I found that there is an energized spring behind the plastic cap. It was completely loose. Wondering if this is why the butterfly linkage was also loose. I adjusted this spring to have some tension and that seemed to fix the linkage issue.

Reinstalled the Weber and fired up La Gloria.

Whatever I did to the Weber it solved the issue temporarily ( Will later discuss) So now I had a running Wagon and eager to drive it around for the first time!! I had to adjust the idle screw and F/A mixture screw to specs.. worked like a charm!! :thumbup:

The test drive was plenty fun!! I must say its certainly a tired motor as I left a trail of black/gray smoke. La gloria came with some extra goodies 15x7 Sendel aluminum wheels, gabriel rear airshocks, 280zx front struts (Thanks Zach!!)

Next in line I figured while it waits for the Sr20 and mustang Diff swap, why not slam it a little and sport the Sendels and give the L20B a little TLC!

I decided to pick up a Belltech 2 inch Block kit. But there was one small but major problem U-Bolts. Here we go....................................................