L-series

DaBlist

Did the L-series engines ever get put in a FWD car in any part of the world? The way the distributor and fuel pump are on the same side as the intake and exhaust it looks like it was designed to be laid up against a firewall.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the L-series engines ever get put in a FWD car in any part of the world? The way the distributor and fuel pump are on the same side as the intake and exhaust it looks like it was designed to be laid up against a firewall.

The fuel pump is on the opposite side of the dizzy and the intake/exhaust manifolds.

The first front wheel drive Datsun/Nissian's were in the early 1980's

(B11 aka:  Sunny & Sentra) ... someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I hope.

Nissan had a FWD car long before 1980.  The E10 "Cherry" came out in 1970.  It was FWD.  The US got the successor F10 in 1976, but it had been in production elsewhere in 1974.  Then the N10 (310) in 1979.   All Cherrys used the A-series through 1981.  In '82, US versions switched to the OHC "E15", which the successor Pulsar and the Sentra used.

I've never seen a FWD NAPS-Z.  They weren't sold in the US, at least.  Wikipedia clams the T11 Stanza (which was FWD) used a Z20E in some variants.

It also claims the T12 Stanza used an LD20, which is the diesel version of a 4-cyl L-series.

So it's not impossible.

The fuel pump is on the opposite side of the dizzy and the intake/exhaust manifolds.

Oops, thought I saw in a pic that the fuel pump was on the same side. The only Dato motor I see in person is my A12 which would be a totally awesome motor if my car weighed 300 pounds. At 1700 pounds It's kind of like riding an old Honda XL125 with your buddy on the back.