New to ratsun!

Lownslow757

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't help much with the Z24 motor, but, welcome to Ratsun and somebody is gonna as for pics.  Almost sounds like an air flow meter issue but 720s didn't really have them....maybe a heated base plate under the carb?  Yeah like I said not really a 720 guy, but hang around awhile lotsa smart guys on here.

I would say go through all the vac lines first. I put a whole rebuild kit on my carb and still had problems. 2 weeks later i found a broken vac line i had missed. i fix it and bam the problem solved (not to say i have not had other things to worry about and fix) But if its not a vac line you can always do a rebuilt  kit and blow the carb out good with compressed air and carb cleaner. Please please use safety glasses, I caught some carb cleaner to the eye and it shut down my whole world for about 20minutes.

im sure there are other things to think about, im sure some of the more seasoned datsun guys will chime in.

• 2 months later...

Just make sure when you are using compressed air to clean that you dont accidentally blow down into the primary jet. Im not sure how the Z-24 carbs are but I was cleaning my 720 carb a few weeks ago and wasnt being careful enough with the air and blew down into the primary, straight down into the float chamber and right up into the accelerator pump, blowing the rubber bushing all apart. And thats why I now have a weber lol

And i definitely agree with Colton, USE SAFETY GLASSES!

If it runs OK at idle, and at lower rpm's, but dies at high load/rpm, wouldn't that indicate a fuel flow issue?  I'd probly check filters first.  There's a filter at or inside the electric fuel pump back at the right rear tire (not sure exactly where) and you may have an inline filter somewhere else.

Especially if you had bad gas.  Years ago our 720 got some bad gas that had water in it.  The float bowl ended up about half full of water.  The truck ran erratically, but it got worse when I'd make a hard turn for some reason.  A few doses of gas dryer (it's just alcohol) finally cleared it up.

Could be float (?) but I'd start with the easy stuff first.