Brake bleeder screw broke off...need help!!

TIGrant

About to bleed my brakes on my 79' Datsun 620 and broke off the bleeder screw in the rear drum brake.  Feels like the other side will break when any real pressure is applied as well, even after I soaked all of the bleeder screws with penetrating oil.  Anybody experience this?  What would the best way be to extract the bleeder screw?  I haven't been too successful extracting other bolts and screws out of this thing so far with my cheap extractor bit from Harbor Freight.  Does anyone have any tips on how to successfully do it or should I drill it out?  Or replace the whole drum setup or say screw it and go straight to the Wilwood discs in the rear?  Any help will be appreciated!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You also have the option to replace only the rear wheel cylinders.  Better than trying to extract the old broken bleeders, and much cheaper than a disc brake conversion.  Plus it won't be down for very long ... just my two cents :blush:

Thanks, I will go with your suggestion, does look like the cheapest and easiest route.  I can't afford the Wilwood discs setup anyway.

Does you bleeder screw come straight out of the rear wheel cylinder, or is it on a "Y"?

If it is on the "Y", then a wheel cylinder does you no good, as the "Y" does not come with it.

Here are a couple photos of the "Y".

DSCN1747.jpg

DSCN1748.jpg
There are several differant shaped "Y" assem

Does you bleeder screw come straight out of the rear wheel cylinder, or is it on a "Y"?

If it is on the "Y", then a wheel cylinder does you no good, as the "Y" does not come with it.

Here are a couple photos of the "Y".

DSCN1747.jpg

DSCN1748.jpg
There are several differant shaped "Y" assemblies.

Yes, they do have the Y assembly but I was able to find some for sale on Ebay that come complete with the Y assembly.  Thanks for the response and photos.  Now I just need to get my drums off, they are stuck.  Gonna try using two bolts, if that doesn't work I'll have to rent a puller tool from Autozone if they even have one.