Double Ballast Resistor?

Guest DatsuNoob

Guest DatsuNoob

Hey guys, I saw Hainz was running a, Accel Supercoil, I got one lyin around from an old Jeep I used to have. He said something about having to run a doulbe ballast resistor? I forgot since then, but what does this entail. What will I need to do to get a hotter spark? Not an expert when it comes to electrical.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Using a ballast resistor of any type gives a lower power spark.

The hot coils don't use a resistor.

Whether you need a resistor depends on the distributor. Points distributors require it. Most early electronic ignition use resistor to keep the current though the elictric box down.. Newer ones (say 1978 up ) usually don't use a resistor.

Most Datsuns with points had a double resistor. It's just two rows of coiled wire on a ceramic rectangle thing. The "double" doesn't mean much I think it just so the thing is shorter.

• 1 year later...
Using a ballast resistor of any type gives a lower power spark.

The hot coils don't use a resistor.

Whether you need a resistor depends on the distributor. Points distributors require it. Most early electronic ignition use resistor to keep the current though the elictric box down.. Newer ones (say 1978 up ) usually don't use a resistor.

Most Datsuns with points had a double resistor. It's just two rows of coiled wire on a ceramic rectangle thing. The "double" doesn't mean much I think it just so the thing is shorter.

I've got a spare Accel coil (big square one). Would I help or hurt the stock electronic ignition in my '80?

I've been running another one on my '64 Fairlane's 260 V8 for a couple of years (with a Pertronix conversion kit instead of points) and love it but was worried it might be too much for the Dat's brain box?

I used the stock Datsun resistor of 1.6 ohms and the resisitor thats in the Accel kit(yes one come with them,which everybody looses) which is a .85 ohm. this makes up the resisitance of the stock coil 1.6 ohms

The Accell is .7 ohm coil but designed to run on high resisitance systems. Like points or Pertronix conversions. Its prevents points Burning up!!!!!!

a MSD Blaster 2 is a .7 ohm but can run on 12volt directly.

iF YOU GOT A MATCHBOX OR nissan EI dizzy just use the stock coil as its a high out put already.

I dont know if the Accell Super coil is designed to run on straight 12volts. Might cook the isulation off the wires inside. Let us know or feel if its HOT!!!

Guest DatsuNoob

When I had my L20b going nice, I just hooked it up one day the same as the stock one and did nothing to the rest of the system. It seemed to accelerate smoother and more even, almost like FI, (but not quite :D). I never had any electrical problems or burned wires from using my 12V Accel Supercoil. I honestly think it helped my motor run a little smoother. I still have it, and was thinking about running it on my KA.

DislexicDime

I have heard of this also

Since its a .7 ohm coil the EI matchbox dizzy can handle it.

But the instruction on the Supercoil says to use the ballast.

a guy wrote to me saying he had a 280zx with Matchbox module and it would COOK the Super Coil running straight 12volts so I never did it the way YOU have it.

As Im running a Pertronix conversion it wants under 4 amps in the Pertronix intructions.(They can POP)

So for Longevity and reliability sake I put the ballast resisitor in.

Is have seen a few people take a stock 30 year old datsun and just put in a GOFASTER coil in only to break down later.

PS I oly got the SuperCoil for the BLING. as I could never tell if it ran better.

Since I installed a Pertronix. I havent bought a new Cap and rotor in over 3/4years. I just scrape it clean if it carbons UP.