Ka24de transmission direct bolt on to a NAPZ2.4?

poke_squid

'86.5 through '89 D-21 Hardbody with Z24i motor. Starters should be the same. My Z24 I bought from a rolled '84, on removal had " '89 Z24i "  written on the flex plate, so it had been swapped. Best of all the '89 flexplate was on the '84 automatic so the plates must be the same too. The D-21 automatic appears to be an L4N71B or 4 speed. The 720 was only an L3N71B 3 speed with locking torque converter.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so I got the tranny in and did a little custom work. Getting a drive shaft made tomorrow. 1 price conversion because I hate carrier bearings and such. I love where the new shifter sits. Very comfortable. After I get the drive shaft made and in place I will post lots of pics.

I've been considering this swap, so when your done, I would love to see some details, aggravations, and what not's. Plus pics of course. How far back did the shifter sit from the original anyways? I remember reading a thread about a 240sx transmission swap once. but couldnt remember where. I'll try to find it.

I don't know how similar the two are, but would it be possible to take the gears from the s13/14 71c and pack them in to the 71b? From what I read so far the s13 uses a slighty bigger input bearing than the 720, but for the most part is it possible?

I should of searched before posting. -_-

http://720world.com/forum/topics/fs5w71-bc-transmission-faq

not a step by step but a decent clear answer.

......y...e...sssss...... perhaps just the gears. The S13/14 mainshaft is too long to fit a 71B case. You will have to mill the front of the 71B case for clearance. It's the front counter bearing that is larger 62mm than the 71B 56mm. Also the 71C 1st/2nd shift rod is lager diameter 16mm than the 71B 14mm. Way easier to swap a 71C in and have a driveshaft shortened.

Personally...it depends on what you wanna do with the truck...I'm going turbo, my tranny has a short throw, its a short 2 piece "dogleg" as well. It sits right at my thigh. Its supper comfortable and I know for a fact I'll be able to slamin gears a hell of a lot easier that way...I'm also contemplating doing an e brake relocation if I have enough clearance. Gonna go back to the jy I got my drive shaft from and take the handle out of it and see what I can do about fabbing it into the truck