Ka24de transmission direct bolt on to a NAPZ2.4?

poke_squid

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a guide to what all transmissions will swap or the differences in them.  Looking at rebuild kits and such looks like the same tranies came in a bit of cars too.  I have the FS5W71B acording to the plate in the door jam.  Maybe even a newer hard body 2x4 with the FS5W71C so that will mate to the divorced transfer case.  Has to be a guide somewhere.

Or would it be easier to just put bearings and seals in this one.

Is there a guide to what all transmissions will swap or the differences in them.  Looking at rebuild kits and such looks like the same tranies came in a bit of cars too.  I have the FS5W71B acording to the plate in the door jam.  Maybe even a newer hard body 2x4 with the FS5W71C so that will mate to the divorced transfer case.  Has to be a guide somewhere.

Or would it be easier to just put bearings and seals in this one.

I don't know who this guy is but this is the most comprehensive listing of Datsun transmissions on the internet. It's geared towards 510 swaps but the information is good for any car. There's even small tricks to ID transmissions when junk yard shopping, what years and cars they were in, the usual ratios, doglegs, Nismo 5 speeds, relative power handling, some history. Even automatics. And pictures!!!!

510transswapsinfoandID001.png

510transswapsinfoandID002.png

510transswapsinfoandID003.png

510transswapsinfoandID004.png

510transswapsinfoandID005.png

510transswapsinfoandID006.png

510transswapsinfoandID007.png

510transswapsinfoandID008.png

510transswapsinfoandID009.png

Yes..... KA onto the Z24 5 speed but without machining you can't go the other way. You may have to pull the '62mm KA front counter bearing and press it onto the Z24 transmission to fit the larger hols for it in the case. The Z24s usually had the smaller 56mm bearing. .

without looking back i sure can not remember which front housings and such might swap or why but will try to print the pages mike posted that should help a lot when i get around to actually looking for another transmission.  Hoping this one will hold out for a bit though.  Thanks mike for the information.

• Like 1

Your 720 may have the long or short 71B in it. You would have to climb under and measure. Either 26" or 31.5". If you have the short 26" then you will have to find another short 720 transmission or a long 720 transmission with the shorter primary driveshaft. The shifter hole will have to be moved back and won't fit your console.... but only if desperate. :lol:   If you have the longer 31.5" you can use a 2wd or 4x4 5 speed from another 720 or the '80-'83 S110 (200sx car)

If you have the longer one you can also swap the front case from yours onto an older 620, 280z, 280zx or Maxima 5 speed and convert for use on your 720.

In cases where you use a 2wd, the speedo pinion must be sealed up so it doesn't drip oil. I did this with some urethane sealer.

If your using the 240sx tranny keep in mind the starters are different from the NAPZ. On the 240 the snout is longer and the bolts thread into the starter from the tranny side. On your NAPZ the bolts thread into the tranny thru the starter side.

I drilled one or the other out, don't remember which though. Probably the tranny, so I could use a stock 240sx starter.

If you use the KA trans and a NAPS-Z starter, you just put bolts and nuts (since neither are threaded).  If you use a NAPS-Z or L-series trans and a KA starter, you have to drill out the starter (since both would be threaded, but there's no way to put a bolt through the rear of the L/Z bellhousing).  I suppose you could grind a boss into the back of the bell, but that's a lot of work.

So here is my question... Exactly what auto trans will work on my 86 z24 720... I have read and heard different things but still not 100% sure what I need to be looking for

How much of this will apply for using an automatic.. Lengths do not matter due to custom cross members and drive shaft just need to know what will work and what I will need

You have lots of options here. For one, any '81 and up 720 automatic will fit. They only came on gas engine 2wd. Around '82-'83 a locking torque converter was introduced so just be sure to get everything from the flex plate back. The old style flex plate and the locking torque converter flex plate are different as are the torque converter themselves. You can't mix them. Just be sure to get everything.

The '81-'83 S110 (200sx) used a Z series motor so that automatic will work.

The '80-'82 (U. S.) A10 also used a Z series motor so that automatic will work.

The Later automatic from an '86-'89 D21 Hardbody with Z24i motor will work and I think, is a 4 speed.

After '89 a KA motor is used and shares the same bolt up pattern as the Z series and these should also work but now automatics are staring to come under the control of the emissions system and may need wiring up to a controler???.