random motor question

bigman420

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get it in there, it's just not easy to get it in there.

You would also need to hunt up a transmission tunnel cover from a late 1965 320 with a floor shift, as that cover is much taller to make room for a floor shift transmission.

It's not a conversion for a beginner, you need to know how to weld and fabricate to complete the project properly.

I can weld, fabricate, build custom pieces for whatever..it was just a question...never really gonna do it just curious....everybody calm down ;)lol.....it will prob always have the j13 it has in it now....all I'm gonna do it drop the piss out of it and cruise it...oh and preserve it's greatness to

I can weld, fabricate, build custom pieces for whatever..it was just a question...never really gonna do it just curious....everybody calm down ;)lol.....it will prob always have the j13 it has in it now....all I'm gonna do it drop the piss out of it and cruise it...oh and preserve it's greatness to

Sometimes Ratsun folks get a little excited about 320s, 520s, and 521s, I really don't understand it sometimes, but that seems to be the way it is, I have found that it is best just to do it, and then show it almost done, and one gets way less shit about it.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Anything can be built with a pile of cash and a welder.

The 320 already suffers from a lack of legroom, so cutting into the floor area for a L motor would be a compromise, and from what I hear, the heater would have to be relocated. Not a small project.

Swap an A15 in there and a 5 speed and call it good.

What gears does 320 have...and what would be good ratio to use with the factory 4 spd? Seen some for sale out of the fairlady roadster.....isn't that the ones to use? Definitely want to get my highway speed up to 70...any help would be great thanx

My 320 had 4.88's. I personally wouldn't go any lower (numerically) than 4.10.

It might be able to get to redline on a hiway going down hill with the stock gears, but once you change them, forget it, these engines(E1/J13) just don't have the power to move the weight of the truck on level ground fast enough to get to redline in 4th/5th, I have a strong E1 in my NL320(thanks Mike), with 3.89 gearing, and I can get to 70mph fairly quick as long as there is no headwind, I am not anywhere near redline, I can floor it and will only get a few more MPH, I don't think I could get 80mph, it just doesn't have the power to do it.

The only smaller stock engine I have ever run up to redline in 4th(stock trans./rearend) was my 67 roadster, as it did have the power to do it, barely.

I put 4.37 gears in my 65 320 with an A15, dual SUs, and a dogleg 5 speed, it went real good and could still be used as a light duty truck, as it had sufficient power to get it going, IMO 4.11 gearing is going to be on the edge for the J13 if you want to use the truck to haul anything, as your issue will be the up hill starts, they can be a bitch sometimes, if it is just a car disguised as a truck, you can use 3.89s, but don't expect to get off the line fast.