79' 810 wagon roof problem

so, i just bought yet another datsun, this time a 1979 810 wagon. pics to come, i work alot this week so probably next week. it had a rood rack on it, i bellieve it was factory, and also these sluminum strips running from the front to the back of the car. i really dont like the roof rack on this car because to me it looks like an old mans lincoln with it so i removed it. no problems, but then i removed the eluminum strips and a big portion of the rood sagged down. i understand that the wagons have a massive roof and not much support underneat, and i  can reach my hand in the car and with very light pressure pop the deant back out, but i wake up in the morning and it has sagged again. any suggestions as to what i can do to support it from the inside?? i was thinking metal strips on the inside tack elded on that have a curve to them to keep the shape. thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your idea is a good one, though you have to be super careful welding a roof.  It's super thin metal.

I had a Volvo wagon with the same sort of roof sag.  It was easy to psuh up, but would always come back down.  It would also pop up when I had the windows down and accelerated.  One of the support beams for my roof had sagged or bent (the roof was sagging when I got the car, so I don't know the cause.  I assumed a small tree fall).  I just beat the support back out with a hammer.

From what I have seen, most of the time the cause for it not holding shape is the that there is a crown at the outside of the dent. This adds a tension to it that does not allow the panel to relax and hold shape. If you start hammering or working on it, keep in mind the metal is thin on these cars and can stretch some what easy. I get into long beach often and could stop and give a look or give a little help if needed.

• 4 weeks later...