L16 4SP Trans reseal

Lonestar

Need some help on how to remove (or if I should) the front cover on my 4sp trans. The piece I talk of (cus I got pic's, sorry) is held on by five bolts, sit behind the clutch and would be the same thing as a front pump on an Auto trans. The proper name eludes me but I'm sure you guys will make sure I learn it. XD The reason I'm wanting is because I'm doing a reseal on my Goon's 4SP and I just want to make sure there is no shaft seal behind this cover because RockAuto lists an Output and Input shaft seal for this trans.

Any help is greatly appreciated,

Thanks guys.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's called strangely the front cover plate.

The gasket for it is 32112-A0900 but RTV would probably work. Don't use it like a chevy owner. Just enough to seal or it will squish out inside and possibly interfere with the seal or bearings underneath.

The seal is 32113-N2101 be sure to rub some grease on the lips before installing so it does start up dry or tear.

To loosen/remove the cover plate reach in the clutch arm hole with a ratchet extension and place on the clutch arm pivot ball and hit with a hammer.  This should dislodge it without breaking it.

FS5W71Bteardown002Large.jpg

The paper gasket is NLA I believe. Thats what the dealer told me.

rockaut list a few seals also so best to mic it out first.

I got the seals from nissan and they told me I got the last lot of them. Dont know How thru this is but rockauto list soem also.

as Mike said you can use a RTV to seal the cover back on. Im sure it needs to be cleaned really good and use the correct sealer.

why I changed mine was the seal was leakiy and trans oil was comming out the by the motor(that trans oil smell,Honey thickness)

just so happens I had a gasket and made outlines on other brn paper gasket matieral