Look what I can do!

Since I had some free time, some tools, and an idea...

Thinking about making this into a shift knob. I made it from an old busted shovel handle. Its about 2 3/4" tall, and 1 1/4" in diameter. If I go the shift knob route, I'm sure I'll have to mold it into some clear polyurethane for structural integrity.

This is a simple design just to see if I could do it. Now that I know I can, I plan on getting a bit more detailed. Anybody interested in some of this coolness for their car? If so, I'll make a few more and get them coated with the clear poly, and drilled/sleeved/tapped. Then there will be more to choose from.

Tiki2_zpsfc39c0f8.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose if you wanted a wood knob with the Ratsun logo, I could do it. But there's already some cool billit knobs, and I'm pretty sure I saw some resin knobs, on this site with the Ratsun logo.

It appears the first one I made has already been claimed by my fiance, so I'm on to the second one. I'll post picks of that one when all the carving is done (and when photobucket figures out what the hell is wrong with my links!).

@ graveltrapp

It was too small for the angle grinder. I used a Dremel and a wood burner. The cool thing with the wood burner is it will remove small bits of wood from detailed edges as I burn.

I'm with you on the tikis... We've got a bunch around the house, and I've got a bunch of pre-finished bamboo set aside to build a Tiki Bar.

I started a second one this afternoon. Right now they're taking about 5 hours to carve and burn. I need to head down to the Home Depot to get some more Dremel bits to try to speed things up a bit. Give me a week or so, and I'll have a pile of them to choose from. I'll do a few from the thinner part of the shovel handle that might be more suitable for keychains. And while I'm at the Home Depot, I'll also grab some good clear finish to seal them up.

I have a friend that lives up your way. (Auburn) If I remember right Grass Valley is a little further north. He and his wife were in a really bad car accident a few weeks ago. I think on either 80 or 49. Head on crash they both ended up with a broken neck.

I guess it happens quite often up there. I might be making a trip up that way in a couple weeks.

Nice Tiki Wagon! Yeah, some smaller Tiki stuff would look really good in there. I want to do some kinda Tiki/Ratrod theme in the 521 I'm working on getting from the510keeper. (Are you reading this James?) I'm even thinking about doing small Tikis for dash knobs. My biggest problem at this point is the time it takes to make them, and every I make gets "claimed" by my fiance who likes Tikis more than I do!

Sorry to hear about your friends. Hwy 80 has concrete barriers most of the way to Reno, so I suspect the accident happened on Hwy 49. There's some nasty stretches past Auburn, and alot of people who don't pay attention to the road.

Yep, Grass Valley is about 15-20 miles up Hwy 49 from Auburn. You making the trip in the Tiki Wagon? I'd love to see it in person. Maybe snatch a few ideas! (HaHa...I just said "snatch"!)

@ datrod

Bummer. I'd like to see the car in person. Are there oics posted up on here so I can check out more of the car?

@ Interrobang

Thanks! Just got back from the Home Depot with about $70 in Dremel bits that I hope will make things go much faster. Also got some Helmsman Varithane to coat any that could possibly become keychains and the like. (You catch that, datrod?)

I've also been looking into doing something with pourable resins for a couple of years. So I'm gonna pour at least one of these into some clear resin to give it a smooth feel for a shift knob. First I gotta get the size and thread count for the shifter I want to put it on, and bore in a metal sleeve to match the thread of the shifter. Then I need to get online and find the resin supplier I found awhile back. The resin will be much cheaper there than at the crafts store I went to today.

Thinking about carving out some in the shapes of cars. (Definately going to do a 521 for myself!) I'm planning to do it about "Hot Wheels" size so I can use it as a keychain. Anyone else? Requests?

What's up with the Ratsun logo? Is there any trademarks, or any special permission needed to use it? (Such as for Jayden71's idea of a wood Ratsun knob?) Thought I'd ask before I take any liberties.

Tried something different with this one. I used new dowel I bought since I couldn't find any used tool handles as thin as this (7/8" in this case). After I carved it, I hit it real quick with a propane torch, and ended up with kind of a "photo negative look". I still used the wood burner for the teeth and the wavy lines on the back. Total size is about 2" tall by 7/8" in dia.

DatRod, what do you think?

IMG_20130103_113708.jpg

IMG_20130103_113720.jpg

I dig it :thumbup:   How much $$$ do I send ya. :rofl:  That is if you want to sell it.

And if you can do one like that just a little bigger, say for a shift knob I would buy one of them as well.