Question for the Ratsun brain trust.

mike maule

I have this idea to replace my long box 620 with a flat bed. It is to much money for me to replace it with a rust free one from out state,cost of box, shipping and painting. I would like to put dual rear wheels on it for looks. I know that the rear end and or truck can't tow or haul 2 tons. Is there any pros or cons to this idea that I have. I would like to know your feed back.I have read online about some recalls on some set ups, and seen the adaptors that are out there. What is the best and what should I look for. I have posted pictures of my trucks before and they are coming along (slow) being in Wisconsin. I have also found a link to find parts that works great, mypartsshop.com. I found my A/C  parts in less than 20 mins. I want to thank the Rasun members that did help me out, you guys are GREAT. I will wait to see what you guys and gals have to say on this question before I post in the parts wanted section. I have found hose clamps and bolts from Kubota that are far cheaper than what I have found on E-BAY, E-mail me what you are looking for and I will see what I can do. What I need is size,thread pitch, ecapulated lockwasher,ect.  

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the late 70's when 620s were still new :wub: -The dealers sold a cab and chassis with an all steel stake bed. Not sure if they came on long beds or not. I remember seeing some at a dealership.

It would be great if you could find one of those.  Probably got worked to death and rusted away. Haven't seen one since.

Wasn't there a thread on here where someone built a really nice flatbed? Not too long ago.

Good luck!

They likely have/had kits in Australia, as that was a popular thing over there, fact is, it is nearly impossible to find stock boxes over there for the early datsuns.

The 720 nissan dually axle was rated for 1700lbs, they are beefy units which I have exceeded their rated capacity easily.

DSCN0393.jpg

I have also hauled 2 ton, one ton on the bed, and one ton in the trailer.

DSCN0874.jpg

DSCN0876.jpg

If you are going with a dually, first I would suggest finding a dually rearend, I use the nissan dually because it has 14 inch rims, so I was able to keep the bed low, but you can use just about any dually rearend from a chevy, ford or dodge, the lug pattern doesn't matter because the nissan units pattern is also differant, so you can't haul a spare anyway.

Another choice is an adapter like this,

100_0114.jpg

100_0115.jpg

these adapters allow the use of stock datsun wheels, they were used on the early datsun motor homes.

And then there is the option of using after market dually wheels, this is one side,

DSCN1077.jpg

Below is the inner rim,

DSCN1075.jpg

the outer rim,

DSCN1074.jpg

and the outer rim sitting on the inner rim

DSCN1076.jpg

Obviously it would be the easiest to use the dually axle from something, but the other two options are out there, you just have to find them, best place to look is a wrecking yard for trucks only.

The Cab/Chassis (EHL620) was only available in '79 and were short wheelbase. To be a long body it would have to have a G in the code as in EHLG (it didn't) This is not to say that a dealer or owner couldn't remove the box and sell it from any frame length, but Nissan didn't 'sell' them.

The Cab/Chassis only came with a 4 speed and where all other '79 standards had a 4.11 rear end the Cab/Chassis had a 4.375 for heavier loads expected. It would likely have had a heavy duty rad, larger clutch fan, stiffer springs, possibly a sway bar things like that. There were some earlier Camper and Heavy Duty options available but not as a Cab/Chassis..

The truck I am thinking about putting the flat bed on has a 5speed and no air. I just think they look better with duals under them. I built a flat bed for my 83 toyota years back and it fit my needs at the time. I read on line about recalls on certain dual set-ups and rear bearing failures and do not want this to happen to me. Plus how hard are the adaptors and rims to find, remember in Wisconsin they have been scraped many years ago. Do i need different rims with the adaptors? Wayno that truck looks so cool!!! Maybe a little over loaded? I know where thier is a set of 1 piece rims, but the nobody around here will put tires on that style of rim.  

The Cab/Chassis (EHL620) was only available in '79 and were short wheelbase. To be a long body it would have to have a G in the code as in EHLG (it didn't) This is not to say that a dealer or owner couldn't remove the box and sell it from any frame length, but Nissan didn't 'sell' them.

The Cab/Chassis only came with a 4 speed and where all other '79 standards had a 4.11 rear end the Cab/Chassis had a 4.375 for heavier loads expected. It would likely have had a heavy duty rad, larger clutch fan, stiffer springs, possibly a sway bar things like that. There were some earlier Camper and Heavy Duty options available but not as a Cab/Chassis..

Not doubting you mike, but the brochure I have (it is a 79 oops) says the wheelbase for cab  and chassis was 110.0" The same as longbeds and King Cabs.

Not starting an arugment, I know my truck a long box. I just want to make sure if I choose to make it a flatbed with duals, I am not going to regret it. With trying to restrore 2 trucks I have to look at all my options. I am spending a lot money and time on the 79 with A/C and 62,000 miles to kept it alive. Living in Wisconsin I have to look out of state for parts, shipping ect. The truck that I want a flat bed will never be original, to much rust. Before I post in parts wanted section, I jusy want to make sure that is the right way to go.    

The truck I am thinking about putting the flat bed on has a 5speed and no air. I just think they look better with duals under them. I built a flat bed for my 83 toyota years back and it fit my needs at the time. I read on line about recalls on certain dual set-ups and rear bearing failures and do not want this to happen to me. Plus how hard are the adaptors and rims to find, remember in Wisconsin they have been scraped many years ago. Do i need different rims with the adaptors? Wayno that truck looks so cool!!! Maybe a little over loaded? I know where thier is a set of 1 piece rims, but the nobody around here will put tires on that style of rim.  

I have seen them one piece rims(welded together), no tire store around me will touch them either.

If your not worried about height, then use a US made/manufactured dually rearend, and build your flatbed to it's width, if you want to keep it low like mine, then you are going to have to find a nissan/toyota dually axle with 14 inch rims, they both made them, although the toyota axle is likely more readily available from a truck wrecking yard than the nissan axle.

Or you can start looking for the adapters for the stock datsun wheels(pre 1980), or the aftermarket dually rims, which ted(tdaaj) had a set of in the last year or so, maybe he still has them, as he does ship parts all over the US.

My dually 521 work truck has been built for work, it has 2 extra full length leafs on each side, it has spring shocks, and has overload air bags.

DSCN0407.jpg

If I find the dually adaptors can I use the stock rims that are on the truck now? I know I would need 2 more but those are easy to find.

If you can find dually adapters like this, yes you can use stock wheels as that is what they are made for.

100_0114.jpg

100_0115.jpg

Another thing that can be done is you put a stock wheel/rim on the inside, and then the outside rears and front can be something else, aftermarket if you want, as long as the rims and tires are the same dimensions, as you don't want the tires touching each other in the middle/between, and you don't want one tire to be taller than the other so that only one is touching the ground, especially the outside wheel.