Engine problem....completely stumped! Help...it's Christmas!!

agent281

Ok...My '77 b210 has been acting up and I have no idea what it could possibly be.  It runs like its running out of gas, or the timing is off, or its missing a spark or something.  It will have random moments of running just fine, and it usually idles fine, but the rest of the time it runs so poorly its undriveable.  I've checked the plugs, the wires are all sparking, the timing is correct, the points are good and gapped right, it has a newer weber that hasnt given me any trouble, i even adjusted the valves, changed the fuel filter, and triple checked for any vacuum leaks.  The coil is fairly new and in working order, and the ignition switch is fairly new as well.  I checked the grounds, and the wire going to the distributor, and made sure the choke wasnt stuck.  I am completely out of ideas, I really hope someone here can help me.  Thanks!!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You really should complete your profile with a rough location.

When does it do this? When cold, when warmed up?

If you shut it off and let sit for 5 min, does the problem go away but come back within a few blocks?

Is it cold and damp where you are?

This is the fuel input area for the weber carb,

DSCN0602.jpg

and this is the bottom side of that area, see the big nut bottom center, take that out and check the screen/filter, I have had that one plug up solid, generally the symptoms of that are you are fine at lower RPMs, but on the hiway(higher RPMs), the engine just won't run.

DSCN0599.jpg

The B210 carburetor looks very different than that Weber carburetor.

These symptoms are usually caused by a little bit of crud in the carburetor fuel bowl:

* It runs like its running out of gas

* It will have random moments of running just fine, and it usually idles fine, but the rest of the time it runs so poorly its undriveable

To solve this problem, drain the fuel bowl:

1. Change the fuel filter

2. Clean the carburetor inline filter (if equipped)

25022.jpg25023.jpg

3. With engine cold, remove the main jet plugs from the bottom of the carburetor

9815.jpg

4. Refasten the main jet plugs

This may need to be repeated two or three times if the problem does not totally clear up. Alternatively you can remove the carburetor and clean the fuel bowl out, backflushing the main jets and rinsing the fuel bowl clean.

Ah, OK. Weber is a bit harder to work on, but the same applies.

Clean the inline inlet filter per wayneo's photos

Clean the fuel bowl by removing carb, remove the carb-top and tip it over, let fuel drain out. Rinse with fresh gasoline. Unfortunately it doesn't have a fuel bowl drain.