A10's U-nite !!!!

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell me about it, I only used a mechanic for items I'm sure I'll screw up like the carb and vacuum lines, had everything checked, rechecked, cleaned, so I'm looking into the only engine I can afford, this z24... I'm not sure, so hopefully I can get my two questions answered haha

The bell housing connects to the engine-housing the clutch and flywheel. 

Your Z20 mounts will bolt perfectly to a Z24. 

Your transmission is the short dogleg. The dogleg cannot handle the torque the Z24 will put out. 

Without extra mods-you will need to find a short Z series trans. 

The engine housing, those are the mounts that are broken, I didn't know the name of it specifically. Can those be repaired? AKA welded if broken off....

if you're talking about those metal pieces that bolt to the block then, you bolt the tranny to the block, i wouldn't risk rewelding them.

I'm so confused of how mounts could break?? If in an accident.... How the HELL could the vehicle be drivable, let alone the engine still running if the impact was so severe to brake mounts????

Never said the vehicle was drivable.

Flatcat nothing was vague. I gave you all necessary info.

Truck was in an accident and the engine housing mounts to the transmission broke can they be rewelded.

Also can a z20 dogleg hand a z24.

You gave an answer for one.

No I need a new trans.

An answer for the engine would be.

Yes it can be welded or no it can't be welded.

Don't have all the info since it's not my car. So I do not know how the accident happened, how fast he was going, where he was going, where it happened or why. But I do it it was an accident and mounts were broken.

Thanks fatcat and mhub. I wasn't sure if it would be safe to weld new mounts or not.

Dude I am so confused still. How the hell did the "engine housing mounts to the transmission" break? Are you talking about the bellhousing? I'm lost. Pics if you want more help. Otherwise we can't help you.

dogleg would hold up. Sure. But how long? What are the driving conditions for the vehicle? If it's a daily driver, sure it might do. Drop the clutch a few times and who knows? 

Simply put, I wouldn't weld anything. I'm not a fan of repairing serious damage. I would replace, if I were you.

My questions were answered already haha but..

I'm looking to buy a Z24 off this guy but the engine housing mounts (where the trans mounts to the engine block itself) are broken in half literally... The question was, Can I reweld them back on or weld new ones to the block so I can mount a transmission,

The other question was can a Z20 dogleg handle a z24,

Both answers were a no.

It's a daily commuter to and from work, I use the highway for a 50 mile day venture to and from (25 there 25 back)

SO basically.. Buy the engine but find a new block and transfer parts, is that what I'm assuming is best?

I'm not sure what the hell these other guys are talking about ,, but of course you can weld the mounts ,, either the ones on the engine or the ones on the frame... I have done it many times , to fit engines in cars they didn`t come with originally.. just make sure they are clean and straight before you start ,,, no big deal..

Yes a dogleg 5speed will hold up behind a Z24 ,, they are known to be weak ,, but not so weak that it will fly apart if bigger engine is hooked to it,,,, it wont know the difference.. If you have big tires and peal out  all the time the torque from the bigger engine might cause it to wear out quicker,, but that`s kinda up to your driving not the tranny..

And stock..  the  Z24 no matter how you look at it has more torque and horsepower than a stock Z20 so why not change if you want to.

I'm not sure what the hell these other guys are talking about ,, but of course you can weld the mounts ,, either the ones on the engine or the ones on the frame... I have done it many times

That's not what he's saying, though. He said "where the engine mounts to the transmission" .... the bellhousing is busted ..... which sounds like bullshit to me. I've never heard of this.....

Disregard the bellhousing and think of the engine mounts being busted...... HOW THE FUCK DOES THIS HAPPEN FROM AN ACCIDENT?!?!! Is everyone over looking this?!! If the impact was so severe to break thouse mounts I would almost guarantee there are more issues that just mounts..

You guys are soooo  stuck on sematics but ,, YES !! you can weld anything that is made of metal ferrous or non-ferrous .

who cares what broke them he is asking if you can weld them ,,,NOT    why are my mounts broken.

• Like 1

Exactly my question, Can they be welded, Yes or no.. I don't know how it happened and I don't really care how it happened. It's not my engine yet, I'm looking to buy it.. 

So yes they can be welded and yes the z20 dogleg can handle a normal slow days drive matched to the z24?

Or are we still stuck on trying to get an answer on how it happened? Because I have no Idea because I haven't asked the engine owner.. Nor do I really care how it happened. I just wanna know if it can be fixed. If you really need pictures I'll make sure he sends me the pictures