loss of brake question

1lo620

Ok, I had a brake line break on me in the right rear of my truck. Now my question is, why did I loose all pedal and braking abilty. Front brake resevoir is still full, but I have no brakes at all. And Am I going to have to blead out all fiur corners...  I know I have asked simular questions before.. so sorry if I am repeating...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Both 620s will have dual master cylinders and the front and rear hydraulic systems are separate so a failure in one does not cause a loss in the other. In practice I have found the braking performance is noticeably reduced. There's a big difference between NO BRAKES and reduced or compromised brakes. So were there absolutely no brakes or a scary reduction in braking?

there was no brakes, pedal went all the way to the floor.. And the cause was a pinched brake ,line in the rear, but I know what caused that. I was just real suprised that I didnt have any front brakes.. And the fluid level is fine in the front section of the resevoir. I am planning on bleeding the whole system just to be sure.. And brakes where working great before the line break in the rear

Dave, we do not know the answer to this one. Normally when rear brakes leak out, the pedal will go way to to the floor but will stop the car slowly.

Normally you don't need to bleed all four brakes when only the rear has leaked out. You may need to reset the brake light switch if it has come on.

Maybe you didn't have front brakes to begin with. When the rears went out you were left with nothing. Normally the brake warning light would have warned you that there was a loss of pressure in one of the circuits.

There is usually a switch between the two braking circuits. As long as there is pressure on each side the switch stays neutral. If one side fails and he pressure drops, the pressure side over powers the switch and turns it on, lighting the brake light on the dash.