alignment issue

81sunnyson

i ordered a moog tierod assembly and centerlink from rock auto in attempts to get an alignment. the car steers ok and stays straight when i break but there is alot of play (almost half turn) in the steering wheel and the alignment shop guy says i need a new gear box. it will make a loud click when i make a uturn or full lock left turn. the play is clockwise to the right and almost a full turn with the horn section of the steering wheel almost straight up and down. i had similar issues in my chrysler with a bad rag joint

if anybody has a gear box or can tell me what i can swap in that would be appreciated

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Play could be an accumulation of all wear in the ball joints in the steering, idler arm, wheel bearings and the steering box itself.

The steering box does have an adjustment on it. Raise the wheels off the ground. Loosen the holding nut and turn the adjusting screw to remove excess play. Have a care as all wear is in the middle (ahead) position so if you remove too much play it will be excessively tight as you turn away from center. This is why the wheels are off the ground, so you can easily spin the wheel lock to lock looking for any binding or tightness. Adjust until it's play is reduced but there are no tight spots.

Wheel bearing pre load is in the manual but usually you tighten the wheel nut to a specified torque then back off to the last position on the castellated nut and insert the cotter pin.

Worn ball joints and idler arm have to be replaced.