kinda stumped on this one

so i have been trying to figure this one out and i am stumped. when i crank the car over it cranks fine but no start, until i release the key.

you can crank it as long as you like and no start. the second you turn it to run it fires right up. so i figure in the start position its bypassing something, just not sure what exactly.

so my question is would a faulty resistor block cause this? how much resistance should it have? any other ideas?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this is the Hotstart wire.

I believe its the blk/blu wire that should get 12volt in start position.

this wire should go to the +12coil. Its usually Y spliced under the tape near the coil.

Sometimes you can reseat the plug connector under the key. I seen it loose there(bad connection)

NO the resisitor block is working if the car RUNS in the On position as the power comes from the blk/ wht wire to the Ballasist resisitor then to the + side coil.

page 181 of your Haynes manual will show this. I know you have this.

I would take the blk blu wire turn key to start and see if you get 12volts or use a test light.

You can remove the yellow starter wire to the seliniod to trouble shoot this so motor is not cranking.

the ballast is 1.6 ohms but on most meters it looks like a short. 1 way is to put key to on and youll get 12volts on the blk/wht wire side and I think about 6-9 volts on the otherside.

Point sytem you want a stock 510 point coil or like 1.6 ohms(no MSD or SUPER COILS!!!!!!) and the ballast .1.6 ohms. any newer EI coil is wrong and will burn up the points

I think KM63 lives up in arlington and makes 510 fiberglass