1973 Datsun 620 4x4

Janksun

New here to ratsun but I'm always hearing about it! Names John. Located in Ripon, California. I've been looking around for a 620 4x4 for a while now and finally found one! I just picked it up and it's dark out so I dont really have the light to look at it. But like the title says, it's a 1973 620 4x4 with I think a 231 Buick and no clue what transmission lol. But it's virtually rust free, just some surface rust, body has some dings here and there but it's pretty straight! I would post a picture but I'm on my iPhone and have no idea how. Not running but hopefully will be soon!!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

nice!!! there are a couple of us who have 4x4 620's but not many. most of the 620's are slammed!! we def need some oics!!!

i like the look of a slammed 620, but, i love the look of a 4x4 620! also i like to drive my vehicles without worry of ripping off anything from underneath lol...

Looks like you've got a stock rear axle. Being a 73 it might have 4:88 gears in it. If the diff is aluminum then they most likely are 4:88s.

The front axle is a Dana 30 and the transfer case is a Dana 20. Not sure what transmission is there, hard to make out in any of the pictures.

Should be a nice truck once it's cleaned up. :)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info! I'm going pressure wash everything and see what I have lol, kinda hard to tell underneath all the dirt and grime. I haven't even looked at the brakes so idk if the fronts have been converted to disc yet, but that's the plan! I need a radiator, any suggestions on a radiator appropriately sized for this engine? Also I need a front windshield at least and window gasket, anybody have a used window I could buy? And a source for a new window gasket would be great. Idk if it's normal but notice the rear axle is Under the leafs and the front is on top of the leafs. I'm assuming it's because of the 4x4 conversion to get the height out of the rear, but they had the front leafs arched just right so they didn't have to put the front axle under the leafs. Correct or no?

You are correct on the 4x4 conversion. It looks like it has the stock 620 drum brakes adapted to the front axle. This is the same way mine was done.

You should still be able to order a new windshield and gasket from a glass place.

so i took a bunch of pictures of the truck as i found odd things and things that need fixed.

just some random goodies

31.jpg

32.jpg

25.jpg

some pictures of the tranny and transfer case

30.jpg

29.jpg

28.jpg

26.jpg

24.jpg

19.jpg

odd looking oil pan...

11.jpg

odd gas tank location

20.jpg

21.jpg

23.jpg

oh found some rust! typical...

13.jpg

broken

12.jpg

14.jpg

look how close the steering is to the exhaust manifolds...

16.jpg

15.jpg

dash

18.jpg

moss for good looks :)

17.jpg

]2eDeYe, so if the drums on front are the stock ones adapted to the axle, i can still follow this topic on a front disc brake conversion?

http://community.rat...isc-brake-swap/

That is for 2wd trucks only. If you get me a picture or 2 of your steering knuckles I can narrow your disc brake options for ya. :)

Well....got some good news and some bad new for ya :lol:

Good news is that looks like a closed knuckle Dana 25. Look around on the axle for the casting numbers or maybe a build tag. This will help identify the brakes, you should be able to order new brake parts for an earlier Jeep or Chevy.

Bad news is, they are a pain in the ass to convert to disc.

Best bet to get disc brakes is to swap in a newer axle, either a Toyota front or a Jeep Wagoneer front. You will want to make sure what the rear gear ratio is and make sure the new axle matches that ratio. I am about to swap in my Wagoneer Dana 44. There are a couple trucks on here that have done either swap.

poor-mans-720 swapped in both of those axles.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/37709-82-720-kc-build-thread/page__st__260

You are probably going to have to re-gear no matter what axle you go with.

If the Wagonner has an auto they are likely 3:07 gears, maybe even 2:73 depending on the year. If it's a 4-speed it might have 3:73 or maybe 4:10.

Toyotas come stock with 4:10 and occasionally 4:70 in the later (solid axle) trucks.

Datsuns usually had 4.375, the early ones had 4:88 in the aluminum housing. I think in 78/79 you could get 4:11s but they are somewhat hard to find.

It's a really good idea to check the rear ratio first. You have to pull the diff to get the ratio, it's stamped on the ring gear.

Depending on the tire size you plan to run you may need to re-gear any way. 4:88 pushes my green truck down the raod really nicely with my 33"s should do well with the 35's and probably be good to 37" tires then your probably looking at 5:29 to push bigger tires.

As far as length, the wagoneer axle is 62" from Wheel Mounting Surface to WMS (abbreviated). The Early Yota axles is about 60" or so WMS to WMS.

You should do some reading on http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum There is a ton of good info in the Toyota Pickup/4runner section in the Toyota FAQ on both axles (Toyota guys swap the waggy axle for the turning radius and stronger u-joint. There have been some advances in toyota axle tech so this doesn't happen as often anymore. Also search wagoneer front axle and toyota front axle there and you'll get a ton more info.

2eDeYe' timestamp='1354988834' post='809082']

It's a really good idea to check the rear ratio first. You have to pull the diff to get the ratio, it's stamped on the ring gear.

Depending on the tire size you plan to run you may need to re-gear any way. 4:88 pushes my green truck down the raod really nicely with my 33"s should do well with the 35's and probably be good to 37" tires then your probably looking at 5:29 to push bigger tires.

So you're saying check the ratio on my truck first right? And how strong is the rear axle on my truck, you said its stock but idk about the strength of the axle. I do plan to run 4:88 and 35s or maybe 33s. If the rear ratio is 4:88 and the axle is strong enough for snow wheeling and crawling (rubicon, dusy ershim) then all I have to change is the front axle and gears, I plan to do put the d44 up front because I also want disc brakes up front.. Or maybe d44 front and rear. Thoughts? Suggestions? Questions?

Cleaned up my engine bay a little today and started looking around the current motor. Motor mounts are scary, steering is scary. But on a plus I did find out for sure that the engine is a 225 Buick oddfire v6! But in the future plans include a ka24e swap :D

Definitely check the ratio first unless you can find wagoneer to part out then you can take both axles and drivelines and regear however you want. Be sure to stay away from the ones with the vacuum disconnect though. You could also get a set of yota axles and driveshafts and make that work.