Fusible link resistance???

mike

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no resistance. It has to carry all the current except for starter motor, so no resistance. Instead too much current will cause it to melt.

I used a Datsun fusible link on my EFI Mustang, no worries. I would guess you could use any link from any car. The only rating it max amps, but Datsuns don't carry a heavy load so any of them should work.

Thanks man, thats good to know and now that I think about it it makes sense. Problem is I go to the parts store and ask for a fusible link for a 74 620 and the parts guy gets a look on his face that makes me think that his family tree doesn't have quite enough forks in it.... think deliverance and dueling banjos...

I want to put an inline fuse in it, a bus fuse or maybe a big prong type, but I was curious if anybody was running something like this and if so what size fuse were they running, or if anybody knows about what size I should run.

Although they do the same job, I think the fusible link is slower to melt than a fuse. A sudden current spike could blow a fuse but a fusible link takes a few seconds.

Here are the Nissan fusible link color codes and ratings.

Pink..... 30amp

Green... 40amp.... 0.50 sq mm.

Red...... 50amp.... 0.69 sq mm.

Yellow.. 60amp

Black.... 80amp... 1.25 sq mm.

Blue..... 100amp

I don't know what color the '74 fusible link is, probably Green same as the '78-'79. If it is Green, use the 40 amp fuse. And buy spares for the glove box.

i put a 30 amp inline fuse in mine. when i first hooked up my battery it completly melted the original fusible link. but it also just blows the fuse now when i plug one in. so it's has completly stalled my 620 progect. wires have never been my specialty. i have replaced a lot of wires but it just pops everytime.

Go look at your positive battery post. Besides the large cable that goes to the starter there is a wire connected to a short length of Green wire with plastic connectors on each end then a Black wire that goes into the wire harness. The short Green wire is the fusible link and can be disconnected and a new one plugged in. Think of it as a master fuse to protect the wire going to the fuse box. If the vehicle is in an accident the main supply to the fuse box could by crushed and grounded causing it to overheat and start a fire. The fusible link's job is to melt just like a fuse and break the circuit.

(don't have a picture)