Clutch went out.

eighty_six_720

I was driving to a friends house this morning and my clutch was becoming less and less responsive until the pedal was eventually useless. I limped her home without a clutch and checked out the transmission and its leaking a good amount of clutch fluid on the drivers side of the housing(I don't know what the little inlet on that side is called) but its leaking pretty bad and I have absolutely no tension in the clutch. Can someone tell me whether I can try and fix this at home or if I should just give up and take it to a shop? I've only got basic tools and im somewhat new to cars. but any help to diagnose what's wrong and and maybe tell me a basic idea if how to fix it and it would be much appreciated. I figure you guys know a lot more about these trucks than anyone else.

Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

its leaking a good amount of clutch fluid on the drivers side of the housing(I don't know what the little inlet on that side is called) but its leaking pretty bad and I have absolutely no tension in the clutch.

is it your clutch slave cylinder ? (idk what side there on with an 86)

its what moves the clutch fork (and your clutch) in and out when you press the peddle.

large212102.jpg

get under figure out if the slave is leaking or the rubber hose is leaking.

both are replaceable with basic hand tools and limited experience.

its that or your clutch master cylinder in the engine bay.

looks like this

Parts_016.jpg

check both for leaks

Thanks for everything guys It's definitely the slave cylinder. Thanks skib for the pics that cleared everything up. I'll head down and buy a new one and a boat load of clutch fluid asap. So do i have to bleed the system when its all said and done? if so whats the easiest way to do that. You guys are awesome.

no "clutch fluid", use break fluid. and yes you will need to bleed the system. I used a one man bleeding tool

spin_prod_613509901_zps98e05246.jpg

attach it, open the bleeder valve, pump the clutch pedal, refill clutch master, pump some more, just like breaks once the line has no air your done.

1/ Fill and keep the master reservoir full.

2/ Open bleeder, push peddle down and hold while closing bleeder

3/ Repeat 2/ above until only clear hydraulic fluid is expelled without air bubbles.

4/ tighten bleeder and top off reservoir.

what I do get get a little plastic bottle that you can see thru

get a clear plstic line and pout over the end of the nipple on the slave.

pump the pedal till the fluid comes out clear. then lock it down.

youll be sure not to let the clutch resivoir to go dry. so more or less 3 pumps refill.

since youll use a a some what loger hose you csan make sure the air bublles arew at the end as when you let off the pedal there is a little suck back