720 Power steering - issues.

Draker

So I've been without power steering for a while.. The high pressure line broke on the previous owner and he tried to fix it with 6 worm hose clamps. As you would imagine even 6 clamps won't hold back the high pressures of the power steering system. The hose shot off the hardline and shot out all the power steering fluid all over the ground when I first bought it. I've been driving it without power steering since then which has been like 10 months or something lol.

Anyway, I installed a new high pressure line today and filled it up with Dex/merc ATF. It lists being compatible with Dextron II fluid so I think it's good. The problem I'm having now and I remember having when I first bought it is, the pump makes a good amount of noise at idle and under load. Also there is a slight lag in the power assist.. but the assist is there.

I'm wondering if my power steering pump is just on it's way out. I've turned the steering wheel lock to lock 6+ times. So unless there is just some really stubborn air stuck in there... I don't recall the pump being so loud before though. Also the reservoir will overflow occasionally.. but it could just be over full.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Running it without fluid can cause the gear to wear. And if dirt got in the reservoir the pump can be worn. I'd just keep driving it unless the noise is annoying, it's not likely to stop working. Yeah easy to overfill em so check that now.

Dexron II was replaced in 1975. Now all Dexron have been superseded by Dexron VI (Dexron 6). Dex/Merc meets Dexron III specs.

Raise the front wheels off the ground and turn lock to lock several times to expel any trapped air. Check/refill the reservoir. If still noisy... take the belt off and it will at least be quiet until you can get a new pump.

I put PS on my 620 and looked into how the Nissan system works. Pump pressure can exceed 1,000 PSI!.

Raise the front wheels off the ground and turn lock to lock several times to expel any trapped air. Check/refill the reservoir. If still noisy... take the belt off and it will at least be quiet until you can get a new pump.

I put PS on my 620 and looked into how the Nissan system works. Pump pressure can exceed 1,000 PSI!.

lol, yeah no cheapy hose clamp is going to hold 1000 psi lol.

I've posted a wanted ad for a new pump. It's not squeaking belt loud so I can manage.