Need help with finding a good plexi replacement for glass in the rear doors

kgb

I want to do fixed plastic windows on the rear doors.

Its time to make my car water proof.

551A5F32-BF05-41C1-9BD7-A7B5C506C5FE-14284-00000C6608D89685.jpg

I had two people promise that they will help, so I waited..............(one of them had this done to his car), but theyre too busy to help.

Any ideas?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lexan is far better, but cost more too. Plexi will scratch up easily, but no big deal for the rear door glass.

It won't make it waterproof. The doors were designed to have rainwater run down inside and go out the drain vents in the bottom of the door.

By waterproof I meant that I would like to able to wash the car and drive in the rain.

Lexan is the best from what Ive read and is worth the cost.

Right now I need to find someone who know what theyre doing and have them cut two pieces to shape.

It's not that hard....make templates out of illustration board or a stiff hard cardboard. Make modifications and test fit that and transfer pattern to Lexan and cut out with a saber saw. Carefully file edges and install. You can also get a "coated" Lexan or polycarbonate for scratch resistance like this; search for hard coated lexan or hard coated polycarbonate.

http://www.techplastcoated.com/info-polycarbonate-clear-01.asp

Are you intending to put it into your factory tracks and regulators?

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

so need to measure the thickness of the stock windows, the come as close as possible in the plastic stock. (lexan will do, but shatter resistant in side windows is overkill, cast acrylic will last 2-3 years in constant sunlight, do you store your car outside.... really? all the time?)

Make the template board patterns, take them to a plastics fab shop (they make POS displays for all kinds of folks,... that means Point Of Sale, not our usual POS)

tell them you want that size and flame polish the edges, they'll know what you mean. Make sure the templates go into the seal, not butt up to it

by using the same thickness, (or pretty close) your stock weatherstrip / seals will work fine.

wish you were closer, I'd do it myself.

Fergus in SOcal.

• 4 weeks later...