old man with an old 720=love it !!

Twinpilot001

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The wiring @ battery area was cut- i believe eliminating the =fuseable links?? that may have origionally been there . I also have no starter wiring in bundle?? need color codes=to go from. Here , i can not locate any datsun trucks at all for harnesses. Id just like an old harness maybe someone has they dont need?

Maybe??

Seems i may also have to get a starter as I cant get the old one to work at all even if hot wiring it ?? Any help is apprecieated on the wiring -Love to get this truck operational soon-Thanx guys .

The Haynes manual for the 720 covers the early trucks. There are two the '80 (with L20B motor) and the '81-'82 with Z22 motor like you have.

The complete wire harness for the front of the truck plugs into the rest of the truck inside the cab by the glove box. Disconnect all the connections (like to the coils or headlights) and pull/push through the hole in the firewall into the cab. I've done this at least twice and it does fit, it just takes time. There is a sub harness that goes to the reverse lights, starter and oil pressure sender, carb choke heater, etc ... that can be unplugged so that you don't have to pull it through as well.

• 6 months later...

My truck came with the engine in the bed area-although complete was worn=high mieage-& after taking it apart  I did notice the head had a recent valve job done. I rebuilt the  motor  short block -new main & rod bearings & rings - gasket set, lightly honed the cyls & rienstalled the head & engine in truck.I have not been able to get it to crank- fuseable links are gone & every piece of wiring was just laying in the  engine compartment &  never was marked  & totally all over the place.Ive  a new battery & removed the starter 7 had tested - works ok. The electric fuel pump did start to make a pumping noise yet hasnt done since 1st few times? fuse?? There was a different electric fuel pump in rear cab area also. Prev owner said he bought the truck-ran yet smoked & needed carb work also. I did  get a used carb that was in great condition yet have not installed that as yet.I am still trying to figure out what wires go to the starter solenoid  & such down there .Again= nothing was marked. :confused:  The truck even has a/c & wiries to the compressor are ?? who knows? I also must locate a diagram for all the vaccumn hoses  on carb & elsewhere too. Help guys -thanx