411 Wiring ..

Noiin

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are some very minor differences between the RL411 and the PL411 but not really in the ignition. You have a PL411 so nothing to do with a starter relay. Now comes the fun part. On the side of the distributor you have a black wire that provides ground to the internal breaker points. Make sure that the feedthru copper connector is clean, then clean it anyway, emery cloth or vinegar to your taste. You did check for continuity between the push on and the engine block or chassis before we continue? If continuity, continue otherwise replace the wire. Next there is an "extraflex" wire [copper strands woven over a fiber core] from the distributor housing feedthru to the breaker point plate. After 45 years it may well have broken enough strands so that it is essentially useless. If you don't have solid continuity, you need to replace this wire, it has spade lugs on both ends so no big deal, except for the "extraflex" wire. Volkswagen point sets have the "extraflex" wire connector included, just buy one and toss the points then cannibalize the wire with its spade lugs. I couldn't find the VW set when mine broke 15 years ago so cannibalized the connector wire off a distributor capacitor, added an additional spade connector, folded the extra length in a "paper clip" fashion and installed it. This was a roadside fix and has performed admirably ever since.

all of a sudden nothing is working

If NOTHING is working, no dash light, headlights, etc. -- then why would you start by looking at the distributor wiring?

I would start by checking the battery connections. Even with a fully charged battery and one-year old cables, if the cable ends aren't cleaned every 12 months or so this exact symptom can occur.

i have a couple of book with Wiring Diagram And a colored one.

all i care about right now is getting it started. lights and everything else will come next.

ill go ahead and see whats going on with the distributor area.. just got to wait for the rain to stop.. :crying:

iff you have a test light just start probing around the fuse box. see if there is power on the battery side, then the harness side. then at your switch in your dash, then if the coils got it and so on. youll find where you have lose voltage and it may just be a bad ign switch or the lead for it has burnt, but if nothing works it sounds liek youve got a problem between the bat and fuse box or bat and chassis ground.

• 2 weeks later...

you could try taking the the little starter wire off thr selinoid.

Then take a wire from the +side off battery and put it on the seliniod tab where you just took the wire off. If the starter motor starts cranking you know the batt cable is good and atleast your starter works.

from the +side batt goes to the starter lug. there should be a +12volt wire that goes to the fuse box. most are linked at the starter lug where the battery cable goes. But on 521 its a wire from the +side batter cable.

Im not a 411 expert but there is the feed wire that carries the 12volt to the fuse box. use a test light and just trace it back till you loose the connection. alot of times it could be just a bad fuse.

But sience you have the Lights not working this usually means a a main feed wire to the fuse box. Unless its just a bad fuse on the light circut.

• 2 months later...

so i got my car started . i just needed a new battery. 

now one to the lights again. 

anyone know how to read this out?

RElay_zps5d551f1b-1_zps9a6923b0.jpg

The reason for the complicated cross wired 2 relays for the headlights is rooted in the high price of gasoline in Japan. Put the light switch on the first notch, parking lights, and hit the high beam position - you are on Low beam headlights. Drive until you come to a red light, dip back to parking lamps and save gas by not loading up the engine, alternator, battery with unneeded electrical load. If the red light is going to take a few minutes, shut off the engine and restart when the light changes. On the highway, pull all the way out and you have normal Hi - Low beam operation.

• 3 months later...

well well well after cleaning and replacing some parts on my carb. new battery, fixing filler neck on th gas tank. my 411 is starting up just fine..

I believe the wiring for my HID lights were somehow mixed up...