Can anyone help me i.d. an L20b block/5-speed trans?

620connor

Hey guys, so i found an L20b engine with a W53 head and a 5-speed transmission attached to it. I have a 74 620 pickup with an L18 motor and 4-speed trans, and i want to swap it in if i can. I dont know what kind of datsun it came out of though, the L20b block i.d. number is 166026, and the 5-speed i.d. number is 5304 259. Can anyone tell me what i have here? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Engine ID is on the block just below the head behind the dip stick. It's odd that an L20B would have a W53 head so verify the L20B.

Tranny is best identified with a picture. The two most common 5 speeds are ...

FS5W63A 'dogleg' for the pecular shift pattern with reverse above first.

R 2 4

1 3 5

26 inches long. Front and rear aluminum cases with steel adapter plate sandwiched in the middle. Cases are smooth without ribs and speedometer is on left or driver's side.

FS5W63AdoglegforAseriesB-210tojan79.jpg

Cover plate has 7 bolts around and one in the middle.

FS5W63dogleg7boltfrontcover003.jpg

FS5W71B

Has regular H pattern shift with reverse below 5th gear over on the right. 31.5" long, front and rear aluminum cases with adapter plate in middle like the dogleg. Case has waffling or ribs cast into it and speedometer is on the right or passenger side.

79KC5spd.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

Has 5 bolts holding the cover plate on.

620CAFS5W71B85turbo200sx007Large.jpg

If still not sure post a picture of it. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/691-how-to-post-pictures-and-keep-online-photo-albums/

The shorter 5 speed will work if you can find the front half (or the whole thing, but you only need the front) of an earlier '73 620 driveshaft. The L16 equipped 620 also had a short 4 speed and that longer driveshaft is all you need. Well, the rear mount may need modifying to fit the different 63A mount.

They're internally essentially identical. There are differences in smog equipment, cylinder head, and manifolds, but your engine of it has a W53 head is not stock anyway. Essentially 2 types: 1977 and older, and 1980 and newer. This determines what kind of manifolds have to be used, as the port design changed. The W53 has square exhaust ports, like the A87 that came stock on a 74 L18, but make sure it'd not really a W58, which had ROUND exhaust ports, and that would match a '78-80 L20B.

Flywheels are specific to vehicle type. Cars (610, 710, 200SX, and 78+ 510) used a 200mm flywheel and trucks used a 225mm flywheel. Your '74 L18 would have had a 225mm flywheel, but it's not compatible with a L20B due to a different bolt pattern. Oil pan is specific to vehicle- all had a slightly different one, but you would need a 620-specific one (along with the matching sump pickup tube). Those you CAN use off your old engine, unless you already have a truck type oil pan on the L20B (which is doubtful if it came with a dogleg, but not impossible).

As far as specific parts- everything internal is the same, except if you have a W53 head the exhaust valves aren't quite the same size (smaller) than stock L20B valves. Normal maintenance parts are the same- oil filters, dist cap/rotor (unless changed to an early small cap type, seen it happen). Water pumps are vehicle specific, but they all bolt on the same.