521 wheel seal replacement

laotsu

I know this is super simple I'm just askeert to do it.

this is all on a stock 1971 PL521

I had oil coming out of my right rear hub a while back. now it has stopped leaking. i thought it was a leaky brake line but somone told me a I have a blown wheel seal. My old haynes guide is pretty vague about replacing it. Rock Auto has several seals for the rear. do I need an inner and an outer? do I just unbolt the hub from the frame and disconnect the brake line to pull the axel out? any advice you veterans out there. yes I have been driving it with a dry differential but only like two miles a week and rarely over 45. FEEL FREE TO HECKEL. :poke:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You get the axle seal. The outer seal that goes on the axle will be the ones that needs to be replaced. Ihe innser goes on the axle on the bearing part and youll not do that one. as you got to remove the bearing.

what I do is pressure wash the back end also to keep the dirt in back it a minimum.

Youll pretty much disassemble the whole thing and that the 4 nuts off in back and pull the axle out.

pry the old seal out and install the new one.usine soemthing flat to get it even when wacking it on.

I would find the seal that has the 2 lips. I seen the newer SKF brand ones and they have only one lip on there. so You might end up doing this again.

key is insert the axle try not to rest on the seal and ruin it as your trying to line up the splines and seat it in.

Maybe best to order the nissan seal. Im sure its a common part

The rear axle oil seal is in the axle tube and seals the oil into the differential side. The Nissan number is 38212-73000 (about $5) and was used on all trucks including the '62 Patrol through the '86.5 720.

There is another seal but it's a grease seal ahead of the bearing to keep dirt/water out... if oil has contaminated the bearing ... I don't know what to say. Inspect it, perhaps you can rinse out and repack it with fresh axle grease without removing it.???

Fill that rear end or you'll be replacing it while the axle is out. GL-5 80 W 90 gear oil.

I've lost one from running it dry. Used synthetic oil. That shit will slip out anywhere that reg GL-5 won't. Happened over the winter when I was unlikely to be under there to notice it. By the time the growl was loud enough to hear driving, the pinion and driveshaft would wobble 1/4 inch around.

One of the seal rides on the bearing collar.

Similar to this.

* The bearing is packed with wheel-bearing grease

* The diff oil (gear lube, 90W or whatever) is kept out of the bearing by the "axle shaft seal"

19507.jpg

If the seal leaks, then you get the old gear lube seeping into the bearing, washing away the bearing grease, and finally running down into the brake area. So keep it packed, supposed to be done every 24 months or 24K miles.

There is a "grease catcher" to hold the wheel bearing grease in and any that oozes out is supposed to be caught and drip OUTSIDE the brake area. So use the correct grease, it must not be runny type grease.

OK, 521 had two seals per axle (so a bit different from photo above):

43232-P4500 SEAL-oil, rear axle shaft (formerly 38212-73000)

40227-32201 SEAL-grease, rear axle bearing

The housing one is easy to change, but not the other i think. I haven't actually worked on this part of a 521, so don't have any photos.