Ka22det

blackmarkit

As for the coming short I the deck you can use a ford 5.4 connecting rod which is 169.0878mm with the crank and piston pin height it comes out to 246.0878mm. 1.3622mm short of the deck. Compression would be 9.29:1 the rod ratio is high a 1.966 but that's why I think it would make a great turbo motor. The long dwell times would allow time to charge the cylinder sence it's under pressure. As for the question what is the benefit. Well sence the l20b is fully counterweights and can handle around 9000 rpm vs the ka which experiences vibration at 7200rpm and case premature wear. There's is a formula which CID x .5 x max rpm / 1728 = cfm

Granted that is 100% ve. So you multiply that by .85 which is 85% ve. As you will see the smaller motor will make more power.

Z24 block

Z24 or KA24E piston

169.0878 mm Ford rod

L20B crank

Agree 246.08 mm height but -1.37 mm deck height. This would make a 2138cc motor

Z24 piston

Open L head............ 8.02

Closed L head.......... 8.4.... the 1.37mm deck adds 8.5cc to the combustion chamber volume coupled with the Z24's piston dish which is designed for 8.3 compression on a motor that is 62cc larger really drops the CR.

KA24E piston

Open L head............ 9.35

Closed L head.......... 9.955 ....the KA piston is almost a flattop so this helps the CR

The thing here is that the 'L20B' can have a longer rod. Longer rods are 'rev happy' motors and coupled with the fully counter weighted crank and extra displacement and compression......

3rhngz.jpg

qm.gif

• Like 2
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a method to destroking a motor. Look at the 69 camaro Z28 with the DZ302. It was a 327 with a 283 crank, healthy valvetrain, and a dual 4bbl crossram intake. Not much for torque, but they revved like crazy.

Black, you are correct the Z22 crank is partialy counterweighted.

According to the math

CFM x .069 = lbs/min of mass flow

And it takes 1 lb mass air per minute to make 10 hp. So the 130 ci (2140 cc) destroked engine will flow 273 cfm at 85% volumetric effienciency. So 273 x .069 = 18.837

18.837 x 10 = 188.37 hp

All math was done at a safer 8500rpms

So you are gaining more HP by revving the KA-22 higher. Why not just rev the KA24 higher and make even more HP? All you need to change is the rods. Stronger forged KA rods will let the KA24 rev to 8500 RPM, won't they? If so, no need to change the rod/stroke ratio to gain a slight efficiency but loose 160 cc. Racers do this to fit into class rules where they cannot run a larger engine. Or if dollars are no object they destroke and run large overbore to bring the CCs back up.

Datzenmike could you please explain why this motor won't run well under redline. Im hear to learn. Rod ratio on the 227.45 deck would be 1.72

What I said....

For a dedicated race motor 8.5K is possible with forged rods and such. Also the rod mods to fit the Nissan pin and crank bearings. won't run well below the red line of a street motor.

What I mean is...

Power is produced by the head. The more air you can run through it the more power you make. To get more air to flow you have to make compromises.

Two L20Bs.

One with minor mods to peak power at 6K. I think the red line is 6.5K? Although an L20B will rev way beyond this, this is a safe limit for an unmodified motor, stock rods, small oil pump, Intended for running 200K miles in it's life.

The other L20B, full race and intended to be rebuilt every 10th race, with forged rods and pistons, oil pump and cooler, open header, multi-carb and intake, insane overlap cam 310 range or higher, oversize Titanium valves with 0.520" lift. The head is ported out to 1.5". Makes it's power 6.5K to 8.5K

The first will be drivable (docile) on the street to 6K. Start easy and reliably, idle well and run smoothly around town and on the highway.

The other will have terrible manifold vacuum from the long duration and overlap cam and will only idle above 1,500. Cylinder filling at low/mid range speeds will be poor because of this and the large ports and slow air speeds. But when it gets going, the head will flow huge amounts of air and make lots of power.

You can have one, or the other, but you can't have both. That which builds power at 8,500 RPMs is not good at half that, hell it isn't good at 2/3s that.

The other L20B, full race and intended to be rebuilt every 10th race, with forged rods and pistons, oil pump and cooler, open header, multi-carb and intake, insane overlap cam 310 range or higher, oversize Titanium valves with 0.520" lift. The head is ported out to 1.5". Makes it's power 6.5K to 8.5K

I'll take this one.

But as a turbo motor I am not dependant on huge duration to make power. The turbo will continue filling the engine as long as it can keep up. I believe with around 260-270 duration I could easily hit 8500 rpms with a turbo and pull all the way. That is one of the big reasons I want to build this engine is because I can run a bigger turbo spool later and still have it pull for 4500 rpms.