Hammering in 1st and 2nd

I don't know if anyone has posted anything like this but I've got a 71 240z with a 5 speed from a 78 280z an R200 from the same 78 with the 3.54 ratio. I just put a new stage 1 centerforce clutch in and used an alignment tool, I put new seals in the tranny and a new rear main seal on the motor. The input shaft on the tranny has a little bit of play but I don't think its too much. My U joints on the drive line seem to be ok and I put a new tranny mount bushing in.

Now my problem is in 1st and 2nd gear if i give it a lot of power or if I'm on a steep incline it hammers really loud. Also I can sit at a light and have it it gear with my foot on the break and let out the clutch just a bit and it will shutter and the whole car vibrates. I thought replacing the clutch and the tranny mount bushing would fix those issues but it didn't and I'm kind of out of ideas!

Does anybody know what it could be?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldnt think a centerforce stage 1 would chatter that bad. My friend runs a centerforce on his turbo 280z without any probs. I run an exedy stage one and dont chatter either even if im lazy and dump it switching gears.

Did you replace the pilot and throw out bearings?

loctite the bolts and tq to spec?

What oil did you use for the trans? Filled to spec?

Any chance you can take a vid? its really hard to diagnose sounds without actually hearing them.

Yeah I replaced the pilot and throw out bearing. I tightened the bolts to spec but I didn't use loctite. Tranny oil I used redline 80w90 and filled it to the fill port on the side.

I'll see about taking a video but I'm not sure where I would post it here maybe just put it on YouTube.

As far as any oil on the mating surfaces I may have got some on there from my fingers but no big smudges or anything. At least not enough to make it chatter that bad I wouldn't think.

Sure sounds like clutch engagement shudder as the drive line slack is taken up. With all the new stuff you've put on I would check the external stuff below first..

Check the motor mounts. The motor may be torquing over.

Exhaust pipe/muffler hitting something from the above mentioned engine torque.

Loose worn mustache bar bushings or rear cross member.

I haven't got to take a video yet but I had the rear end up and got to looking at the rear end and the left axle looks like it has about an 8th inch run out so I'll have to at least get that side rebuilt.

The motor mounts are still pretty solid. The mustache bar bushings don't look really bad but I'm gonna go ahead and put some urethane ones in anyway.

I really appreciate all the input guys and I'll try to take some more pics as I go.

You'll be happier with rubber. If urethane you might as well make them on a lathe out of aluminum. Harsh and squeaky and they wear out much sooner.

Get under and grab the exhaust pipe when cold and really pull on it. See it you can get it to rattle.

Ok so i replaced the mustache bar bushings, had both axles redone, and found out that the diff mount bushing was literally broken. Got all of that done and replaced the diff mount bushing and there's no more hammering!

I was beginning to think I was going to have to rebuild the diff, which wouldn't be a bad idea considering I'm going to put an LSD unit in there soon anyway.

So no more hammering or shuttering, just bad mounts and bushings under the trans and diff. I appreciate all the input guys.