Pl411 to RL411?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you will need 411/r16 specific parts listed below

fromt crossmember, oilpan, header, intake and carbs, water pump and pulley, crank pulley, alt brakets, and a correct length trans that can be made from 2 different trans. its not just a simple swap. youll also have to route the exhaust thru the fender well like the real sss cars

Listen to Erich! You will also need to figure out how to connect your accelerator pedal linkage to the shaft controlling the SU carbs.

If you are sure you have a RL411 engine then you have the correct valve cover. If its a roadster engine the rear horizontal corner of the valve cover will interfere with the windshield wiper motor when you try to attach the valve cover after installing the engine.

Listen to Erich! You will also need to figure out how to connect your accelerator pedal linkage to the shaft controlling the SU carbs.

If you are sure you have a RL411 engine then you have the correct valve cover. If its a roadster engine the rear horizontal corner of the valve cover will interfere with the windshield wiper motor when you try to attach the valve cover after installing the engine.

actually mike ive noticed that all roadster motors have come with the slant valve cover too. its only the very early 3 main r16 that has a squared up rear section, ive only seen 2-3 in person to date and 100s of the slant back style in person. all 3 of my roadster motors already had them.

actually mike ive noticed that all roadster motors have come with the slant valve cover too. its only the very early 3 main r16 that has a squared up rear section, ive only seen 2-3 in person to date and 100s of the slant back style in person. all 3 of my roadster motors already had them.

Right on! The 3 main bearing SAE engine for the early roadster had the "squared off' valve cover. Apparently wise and possibly cheap heads reckoned that having modified the valve cover for the RL411 engine variant, why stock and continue to produce the original valve cover. One part number for all. And it now had the hookup for the "PCV" hose.

Also make sure that when you get the front cross member that you get it wheel to wheel, you will really need front disk brakes.

if only i knew someone who had every part needed to do a r16 swap on a 411. theres a member named "erichwaslike" that has it all, hes just an ass and doesnt like to sell his parts.... lol

if only i knew someone who had every part needed to do a r16 swap on a 411. theres a member named "erichwaslike" that has it all, hes just an ass and doesnt like to sell his parts.... lol

Then there's Tana the Datsun Lady! She had a wheel to wheel front end last year. Don;t know if anyone was smart / dumb enough to grab it while it was still available.

By the way, a possible alternative to cutting our signature hole in the leftfront fender liner might be to get a roadster outlet flange, avoiding the 2 to 1 cast iron adapter.Adding 2 matching I believe inch and a half tubes routed between the recirculating ball joint steering gear and fabricating a 2 into 1 adapter between the existing tube and the front premuffler or resonator.

Then there's Tana the Datsun Lady! She had a wheel to wheel front end last year. Don;t know if anyone was smart / dumb enough to grab it while it was still available.

By the way, a possible alternative to cutting our signature hole in the leftfront fender liner might be to get a roadster outlet flange, avoiding the 2 to 1 cast iron adapter.Adding 2 matching I believe inch and a half tubes routed between the recirculating ball joint steering gear and fabricating a 2 into 1 adapter between the existing tube and the front premuffler or resonator.

it would be too tight of a fit and cook the starter and oil in the pan kickout

An alternate to the disk brakes is the M Klotz big brake kit, which I have an extra of. Anyone putting in a bigger motor in a 411 should consider this upgrade.

how did you get one... from what i heard there was only 2 kits made. i have one, and i thought he still had the other....

I got my set :) Sitting in the trunk of the 411 all nice and pretty from greg ;) Glad it looks like i dont have to sell my SSS now. Dont forget the water pump is a way to tell as well since there was a difference to clear the radiator.

I got my set :) Sitting in the trunk of the 411 all nice and pretty from greg ;) Glad it looks like i dont have to sell my SSS now. Dont forget the water pump is a way to tell as well since there was a difference to clear the radiator.

You can do a "nose transplant" by pulling the RL411 spinner off your current real RL411 waterpump and pressing it on to the shaft of a roadster waterpump [after, of course, pulling the roadster spinner off the replacement water pump]. Just be sure you have good rubber in your engine mounts since the shaft will project an inch beyond the fan spinner and can very well eat a hole in your radiator core if the engine shifts forward under hard braking.

• Like 1

You can do a "nose transplant" by pulling the RL411 spinner off your current real RL411 waterpump and pressing it on to the shaft of a roadster waterpump [after, of course, pulling the roadster spinner off the replacement water pump]. Just be sure you have good rubber in your engine mounts since the shaft will project an inch beyond the fan spinner and can very well eat a hole in your radiator core if the engine shifts forward under hard braking.

Im glad i got a bunch of extra parts for my car LOL, and another water pump. Seems like i dont have to sell her, medicare has paid for stuff they werent going to for my mother in law. I really did not want to sell my 411, i love the thing. These are some of the best lil cars.

I may be willing to sell my 411 disc brakes when i put my bigger brakes on if you cant find any.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a real RL411 R16, complete with the angled intake and short water pump. We picked it up about 14 years ago as a spare for the race team. But after reading everything above, I think I'd better just buy a RL. Besides, the PL for sale locally is at best a parts car, no title.

But thanks for all the info. Now if I could just make one appear in my garage!

I have a real RL411 R16, complete with the angled intake and short water pump. We picked it up about 14 years ago as a spare for the race team. But after reading everything above, I think I'd better just buy a RL. Besides, the PL for sale locally is at best a parts car, no title.

But thanks for all the info. Now if I could just make one appear in my garage!

Re the spare engine. I bought my RL411 from [at that time] Staley Motors in Great Falls Montana, He was most likely the second franchised Datsun Dealer in North America. Hawaii and East coast gray market dealers excepted, not franchised North America including Canada dealers. He could not get a straight answer from Nissan on just what alterations to the type R engine were necessary to cram it into the smaller 411 engine compartment so ordered 5 RL411 sedans and an extra engine. I don't know how many other dealers took this precaution but this is a partial explanation of why chassis and engine numbers in RL 411 don't synch up like BMW2002s do.