Drove my 280z finally, life changing

ISPKI

I finally registered my 77 280z. I had replaced the fusible links with maxi fuses, ripped out all the shitty wiring and bad connections all over the engine bay and replaced them with brand new connections with weather sealed shrink connections. All fluids replaced, fuel lines, filters, ignition coil, battery, fuel pump, cleaned the gas tank, etc etc. Lots of little stuff.

Anyways, I drove it to work and around town a little bit. I love this car so much now. I mean, I loved this car before I drove it, but now that I have gotten to enjoy it a little bit...it just reminds me why I spent so much time trying to find one. It has so much more power than my honda civic, it sounds better, feels....well the steering and suspension need some work but I love it!

• Like 1
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a great feeling making something old kinda new again, and then getting to enjoy the fruits of your labor.

I spent a good bit of time working on my truck before I drove it. Hell, before I even owned it.

I had my 210 for a year before I ever drove it.

My buddy and I are going to stress test it tomorrow to make sure it is OK for me to drive frequently. Then I will be doing body work until next year probably. I will fix up all the little odds and ends and track down the parts needed for a MT swap.

There is a fella nearby selling a 4spd gearbox out of a 76 280z for 50$. Seemed like a good price, although I was planning on doing a 5spd.

i did the auto to 5spd swap. i was really surprised how easy it was. only thing id say is make sure you got all the parts first. half my parts came from a 4 speed z and the other half from a 620. used the flywheel, flex plate, and hydraulic line from the z, and the pedals, master cyl, slave cyl, from a 620. also recruited bananahamuk to come help.

My buddy and I are going to stress test it tomorrow to make sure it is OK for me to drive frequently. Then I will be doing body work until next year probably. I will fix up all the little odds and ends and track down the parts needed for a MT swap.

There is a fella nearby selling a 4spd gearbox out of a 76 280z for 50$. Seemed like a good price, although I was planning on doing a 5spd.

Good price.... a 5 speed is only good on the highway and if you find one it fits without mods anyway

A 5 speed in a s30 is more then just for highway driving imho. The early s130 adds some pep being a closer ratio trans. So does the BW as well as way smoother shifting when a cobra or aftermarket shifter is used with it. I personally wouldnt waste time with the 4 speed good price or no and just hold out to do the 5 speed once and be done with it since thats your plan anyway. Who enjoys swapping transmissions? lol

If the auto gets you bored pick up some lucas stop slip and put some in there (even if its not slipping). It makes it shift way more aggressively We did it on my friends 71 and when he guns it the thing kicks like a mule lol so fun.

Congrats on the drive. Mine was no big thing, I was more worried because I had to get back home up a huge hill and the car was still running like crap lol.

You should get the car dependable and come out for the nyzcc next weekend. One of the stops is even in ct. Last fun run a couple months ago was 25 z's

This was the lunch stop :-)

P1080615-X2.jpg

Awesome photo.

So far, it has been running very well, although it has a hard time starting in the cold weather after it has sat over night. I checked the connections on the cold start solenoid and they look like they have been growing grass ahaha. I am working on the body work this weekend, then I will do some more with the electrical.

Good to hear. You can bypass or help out a non working cold start by cracking the throttle when you start. A lot of people that eliminate it on theirs when they go with a big throttle body have to live with doing that. Cleaning it out with q-tips and gasoline should help though. Also have you checked your fuel system? A pressure test both static and idle would tell you some things. Fuel leaking back into the tank can cause a harder start after sitting since the system has to re prime. Also a clogged or old filter will exacerbate that issue.

That mean your going to come out? :-) Moar z's MOARRRRRRRRR

I absolutely will if I can get some of this work done. My buddy and I spent about five hours on it yesterday, he was doing body work (hes a body mechanic) and I was trying to fix some electrical. Come to find out...someone replaced almost all the glass fuses in the fuse block...with the wrong size fuses. There are 20 and 15 amps where 10 amps should be D: I ripped out the radio and all the shitty wiring that someone put in. They had wired in 8 speakers to this thing, and all the wires for it were frayed and melted. Also found that there is a long hole stemming from the battery leak going from the battery tray all the way down the firewall and under the floor. It is about a foot and a half to two feet long right along that seam weld. I may have to skip this year and come out next year. After seeing that photo you posted, my buddy said he wants to come with ahahaha

I installed a clear filter between the tank and the pump to check for debris that may clog the system, so far so good. Fuel lines and filters are all new so those should not be be clogged. I have not checked fuel pressure yet. I cant find the right T connection for my gauge... Its old, might have to just spring for a new one with a more common connector

The gauge is inline barb style? You could try and make up a T at home depot or through mcmaster if you dont want to buy another gauge.

Ugh I hate when people over spec the fuses. They think it solves problems but all it does it fry wires... Interior wiring is like my least fav thing to do. I have rebuilt and replaced the entire drive line and my heater blower still doesnt work lol along with some dash lights too. Just no patience for it lol.

Dont skip out on minor stuff like that! lol I have the same rust in the bat try area only the ass hat PO just glassed over it all like it was all good. For the last run my car was so rough, stock high mileage drive line, suspension that wasn't working etc... Because of the suspension the cross bx knocked the neg cable off the bat, fried my fan relay and broke the fan mounts lol. I jumped the fan bypassing the relay, ziptied the fan to the rad rad and put a screw in the cab terminal, kept on keepin on. By far the best of all the events I have been to with this z as of yet. This year the rt skips the cross bx too haha.

Get r done and come on out! Here is another pic, we were waiting for the rest of the z's that got caught at a light. In CT on our way to bear mt for lunch.

DSCN0089-X2.jpg