WTB: SU Air Cleaner

Looking for a decent condition SU style air cleaner. I'm only interested in the 510/610 SSS version or the Z version. I like the enclosed look and not the open roadster version. Visual condition is not important, but I would like it physically sound: no creases, no dents, and mounted studs intact.

Here is what I want:

5E65Kf5M43I33F43H5ca93fd595d9549f14b0.jpg

Just looking for a good deal... I know not many run these so there may be one just chilling in your garage taking up space. Will pay for shopping or meet around the Kitsap/Tacoma area.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Tristin, are you sure you can make the Z version work? I think it's longer than my stock dual SU filter one...not so sure what the difference is between mine and a SSS one though.

DSCN4693.jpg

DSCN4695.jpg

That's perfect! From all I've seen they are the same, but I could always be wrong. I know there are two model of Z intakes and I'd like the one pictured. There's also a version where there's a larger PVC return section off the bottom and I do not want that one.

I'm more after any of the 510 versions since its going in a 510, but I'm sure there's very few of those stateside. With that, I'm up to be more common Z one.

If there are differences, I'd love to know.

Well from the few Z ones I've seen firsthand I do know they're physically longer and the holes on the top cover will not align with the ones on my 68...so I'm assuming they won't on yours but since you did mention that you planned on modifying yours, I figured you knew this and were going to take appropriate measures to 'make it work'.

In fact, look at the one you pictured (red Z version) and you can see there's actually 3 holes on the cover and there's only 2 holes on my cover.

I didn't notice that. Ito explain what I'm doing, I'll be running this on a set of bike carbs (or at least that's the plan). I mnow there are only two carb mounting/air hole sets on them now so I will be cutting out the entire bottom of the cleaner, making my own mounting plate for the carbs, and then welding it back to the cleaner.

I don't have an issue notching the housing to clear the brake components and in fact I will be trying to slide the hosing forward some since I have to cut the bottom out anyway. I havent seen actual pictures of the cleaner not fitting so I'm not sure what hits. I just know it doesn't and I will have to modify.

Hey Tristin, are you sure you can make the Z version work? I think it's longer than my stock dual SU filter one...not so sure what the difference is between mine and a SSS one though.

DSCN4693.jpg

DSCN4695.jpg

Yours is a SSS conversion complete with the NISMO recommended replacement single fluid recepticle replacement brake master cylinder or a factory original SSS engine assembly. Do you need the part number for the air filter?

Well when I got the wagon it has a true SSS head which I unfortunately didn't realize it was and traded it away for next to nothing...oh well, live and learn. But yes this is completely stock with the single reservoir brake cylinder....so no I did not convert anything. It's all original. :)

Dimer,

Getting ready to do the same conversion on my dime. Sent you couple pm's a while back regarding the master cylinder you have. I've picked up one for the 520 or 521, can't recall offhand, but recommended by datzenmike. I've lpicked up the same air cleaner from someone out of New York. The only concern I've gotten is regarding goin from 2 to 1 on the master cylinder. How well is your system working?

Thanks

Eric

Well my wagon is completely stock so the single brake reservoir is more than enough stopping power for the L16...but to touch upon this one more time, you CANNOT fit this air filter assembly on a dual reservoir brake cylinder since it would be in the way of the filter assembly, unless like Tristin said, you would notch the assembly, but then you might have to notch the air filter as well.

Sorry if I don't recall your PM to me...I've had a lot of PMs through my years here on Ratsun. :)

I've known that it doesn't fit, but is it the reservoir that hits or the push rod sleeve (I don't even know what that's called)? Wildwood makes a remote dual master that only moves the reseviors. I was thinking of running that.

• 2 weeks later...

In fact, look at the one you pictured (red Z version) and you can see there's actually 3 holes on the cover and there's only 2 holes on my cover.

The bolt in the middle holds both halves of the filter together.

The bolt in the middle holds both halves of the filter together.

Right, but I wouldn't know about that one, I have the proper 510 one that has 2 bolts :)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.