1971 521 parts wanted, also 200sx dogleg 5 speed transmission

I've got a 1971 521 I'm looking for parts for in Texas (near Houston), although currently I'm on vacation in NorCal for the next week and could probably pickup some stuff here.

Currently I have a 521 with a L20B and a 5 speed dogleg from a 200sx (63a) with a single driveshaft. My transmission is starting to get some bearing noise in 5th and 2nd or 3rd, so I am looking for a replacement transmission to run while I rebuild this one.

Also I am looking for a driver's side window regulator and a windshield wiper motor.

Since this is my first post, here is an old pic of truck until I can upload some new ones.

images_zps7b50ece0.jpg

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun B)

Having a whine in 5th is common when this transmission is used in a truck, I loaded my 521 up(lot of stuff) and drove it from washington state to florida and back, 5th was howling real bad by the time I got back, it is a car transmission, it was never meant to be used like a truck, Dan Hart told me that if you are towing or hauling anything with a dogleg 5 speed in a truck, use 4th gear.

I use this setup now(link below), I would never use a dogleg in any truck ever again.

http://community.ratsun.net/topic/28473-how-to-put-together-a-shortshaft-5-speed-for-a-l20b/

I've got a 1971 521 I'm looking for parts for in Texas (near Houston), although currently I'm on vacation in NorCal for the next week and could probably pickup some stuff here.

Currently I have a 521 with a L20B and a 5 speed dogleg from a 200sx (63a) with a single driveshaft. My transmission is starting to get some bearing noise in 5th and 2nd or 3rd, so I am looking for a replacement transmission to run while I rebuild this one.

Also I am looking for a driver's side window regulator and a windshield wiper motor.

Since this is my first post, here is an old pic of truck until I can upload some new ones.

Welcome to Ratsun B)

Having a whine in 5th is common when this transmission is used in a truck, I loaded my 521 up(lot of stuff) and drove it from washington state to florida and back, 5th was howling real bad by the time I got back, it is a car transmission, it was never meant to be used like a truck, Dan Hart told me that if you are towing or hauling anything with a dogleg 5 speed in a truck, use 4th gear.

I use this setup now(link below), I would never use a dogleg in any truck ever again.

http://community.rat...eed-for-a-l20b/

BTW I can vouch for this buyer since he's my dad and this is my old truck :thumbup: This is mostly just his DD back and forth to work and on the freeway. No hauling, he just has put ~100K on it in the last 5 years.

Wayno, I know where he is in Texas the boneyards are pretty slim pickings for anything. We'll probably hit up some of the PnP's for smaller stuff while he's in town.... although I was trying to convince him to put a tranny in his checked in luggage.

Also, if anyone has one of these along I5 in the PNW I'm driving up to Vancouver (BC) and Victoria sometime next week from Sacramento, although I'm not sure how the family/in-laws are going to feel about me throwing a tranny into the back of the minivan :rofl: .

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.