220mm flywheel on z24

Bambam91

hi all

i have a 1985 nissan datsun 720 4x4 ute and the motor that was in it when i bought it was a z22(originally they had a z18 i think?)

ive recently replaced that with a z24 motor. i have used the flywheel and clutch from the z22.

would there be any advantages in buying a 240mm flywheel and new clutch to suit over using the 220mm flywheel and clutch from the z22?

im replacing the gearbox and was thinking this might be a good idea to do at the same time? i dont want to destroy this gearbox if it can be avoided by changing the flywheel and clutch.

im a bit of a noob to all of this but im always willing to learn. any help would be greatly appreciated :)

cheers, Mat

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to Ratsun B)

If you change the flywheel, disc, and clutch cover over to the 240mm, you might have to change the throwout bearing collar also.

Cheers :)

Yep I've planned to change that too if need be, but I'm just wondering if there's any real plus side to changing from the 220mm to the 240mm?

When driving through sand etc. I have sometimes smelt burning clutch. Now I'm not sure if just replacing the clutch would remedy this, or if I need to go to the 240mm flywheel clutch combo.

Not sure if that had anything to do with my gearbox destroying itself either :p

Just trying to avoid another failure if possible haha

I have always been of the opinion that bigger is better when it comes to the clutch disc/cover, I run 240mm on everything I own unless they didn't make it for that application.

I can smell clutch also sometimes, especially if trying to start up a steep hill with a load, that is because of riding the clutch trying to get it going, normally we just let the clutch out and go, which is the way it's supposed to work.

A new 225mm clutch should hold a Z24. A new 240mm will hold it for longer. I would get the Z24 clutch disc and release collar but find an '82-83 2980zx turbo or '84-'85 300zx (na) pressure plate 30210-P9500 or 300zx turbo 30215-P9600

im assuming id need the 240mm flywheel to use a 240mm clutch disc?

I have always been of the opinion that bigger is better when it comes to the clutch disc/cover, I run 240mm on everything I own unless they didn't make it for that application.

I can smell clutch also sometimes, especially if trying to start up a steep hill with a load, that is because of riding the clutch trying to get it going, normally we just let the clutch out and go, which is the way it's supposed to work.

im assuming that the bigger the friction surface of the flywheel and clutch plate, the better. the only downside is weight? which im not really fussed about with it not being a speed demon :P so really id be better off using the 240mm if i can?

if what im saying makes no sense, dont be afraid to tell me in talking gibberish