Considering engine swap

Kramer1981

As we all probably know, a stock A14 engine has just enough power to keep a car from rolling backwards. My car does ok, but not great. Sort of anemic actually.

I have a z24 from a 720 in the shed, and i am wondering IF it will bolt to my little four speed OR if I will have to go buy a tranny. I figure the engine mounts are probably going to need some fabrication.

Anybody ever try this? Or has someone failed already and I started a dupe thread?

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I assume thats an L 16 in Augusta? This on CL or what?

Yep. I've talked to the man a few times. It's a complete engine BUT it's from an auto goon so you will need a 4 bolt flywheel. That's why I didn't get it.

http://augusta.craigslist.org/pts/3260747209.html

If you want to use your Z24. Which would be one hell of a b210. I have a 4 speed 620 tranny up here for 100$

I can take it to Columbia for 50$ or ship it.

Just a thought.

Yep. I've talked to the man a few times. It's a complete engine BUT it's from an auto goon so you will need a 4 bolt flywheel. That's why I didn't get it.

http://augusta.craig...3260747209.html

If you want to use your Z24. Which would be one hell of a b210. I have a 4 speed 620 tranny up here for 100$

I can take it to Columbia for 50$ or ship it.

Just a thought.

I think a Z24 in a B210 would be NASTY. I can always put a cowl induction scoop on it if hood clearance is an issue.

I would be interested in your trans if I knew a little more about your location.

hey i know your leaning towards a swap. but go to datsun1200.com. there is a bunch of info on just upgrading the a14 to go faster. if you built it you could easily get it up to 100hp even with out hcomp pistons ( i think) or you could do a turbo on. one guy has done a blow through turbo on STOCK internals ( i think he mentioned the crank bearings were near 300k.) but he has it reliably running up to 170hp!

I have a z24 from a 720 in the shed, and i am wondering IF it will bolt to my little four speed OR if I will have to go buy a tranny. I figure the engine mounts are probably going to need some fabrication.

Anybody ever try this? Or has someone failed already and I started a dupe thread?

FWIW, if you get the front crossmember from a '68-73 510, it will be easier to get the engine in there. Should bolt right up to the 510 engine mounts. For a pan you either need to modify the truck pan to clear the steering center link, or do the work to "flip" the 510 crossmember and use a front sump pan from an '80-83 200SX.

Hood clearance should be just fine, with the possible minor exception of a tallish (or stock) air filter hitting the hood.

Oh, and "because you have it already" is the worst possible reason to use any engine. ^_^

FYI, Z24s are prone to crack the block between cylinders due to the large bore. Worst case scenario is if you kill it, just find another Z24 or swap in a Z20 or Z22. Once you've done the work to fit the Z-series engine, you can easily swap between those three engines.

Ok what cars had an L series engine stock?

Im going after some fuel economy from this car over brute power, if I wasnt after some economy, i would just stick a 350 in it.

I havent even looked at the oil pan yet, so IDK yet, but if I can lay down oiltight welds on a rearend housing I think I can do it on an oil pan too. I hope maybe it just needs an attitude adjustment from a hammer though.

I do know where a 510 is in ajunkyard, not sure about engine condition, ill give the guy a call right now about it

Does that 4 speed you have maybe has a flywheel and clutch accompanying it? I was busy with a Camaro and a pocket bike today and havent got a chance to unlock the particular shed the Z24 is in, so IDK yet if I already have a flywheel, its been in there buried for YEARS.

That and the two Scarlet Macaws with the nasty disposition that use that shed as sleeping quarters...I might end up minus a finger...

Does that 4 speed you have maybe has a flywheel and clutch accompanying it? I was busy with a Camaro and a pocket bike today and havent got a chance to unlock the particular shed the Z24 is in, so IDK yet if I already have a flywheel, its been in there buried for YEARS.

That and the two Scarlet Macaws with the nasty disposition that use that shed as sleeping quarters...I might end up minus a finger...

No I sold it with the L20 srry