71 510

wat

Had my 510 parked for a while. All the lights worked when I parked it. I drove it yesterday to find that while the right signal works, the left signals on the outside do not flash, and it displays a solid non clicking arrow inside the dash. The bulb fillament is fine in the rear but the socket is corroded (was not corroded when I parked it). Thoughts on where to begin?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The original flasher is load dependent so if a bulb is burnt out, it won't flash but simply come on and stay on. (the opposite is true... if using a trailer with more lights, they will flash faster) A burned out bulb or a bad (corroded) connection where power can't get through would act the same.

I would check for blown bulb(s), clean all the bulb connections and make sure the sockets are ok.

You can get a newer solid state flasher that is not load dependent and flashes at a steady rate no matter how many bulbs.

Pull each rear tail lamp bulb socket out, remove the bulb, and dunk each socket in a cup of vinegar (removes corrosion), overnight. Remove the front turnsignal lamp, remove the lens, and soak the lamp base (with bulb socket) overnight.

You should also go thru the wiring, and remove & clean up every ground point.

You should also remove your fusebox, and soak it overnight. I also removed every one of the OEM metal cased relays, carefully pryed off the metal cap, and soaked the unit overnight.