New to Datsuns, working out the kinks on my '70 521 DD

Parkinglotslider521

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The alternator that was on the truck was off a 1980's 200sx. I ended up putting the alternator off my talon on the truck. The ignition system doesn't know what to do with itself with such constant voltage. Runs soooooo much better.

Weird, I just ordered a talon/galant/sonata alt last night after I started the saturn swap and decided it kind of sucked and thought the talon alt looked like it would work better. How did the install go for you? Main problems with the saturn alt is that the range is severely limited the the idler arm grease fitting, and then the upper eye doesn't work with the stock adjustment arm since the eye too far inboard on the alt.

I think I can answere all of your questions regaurding your wireing delema ie, were what wires go I have a 72 521 with dual points I have owned it for a little over a year. That said I have had to figure out all my own problems via trial and error due to lack of information and/or miss information on line.

So here goes the wires up by the fire wall are suposed to wired to the wiper fluid pump the vacume line from the base of the carburator goes to the missing vacume advance canester that should be on your dizzy as far as setting the second set of points functioning right you need to make sure you have the excelerator switch aprevious owner didnt remove) located behind the carburator it has two wires comming off of it and its wired inline with the auto choke I will include pictures of what Im talking about hope this helps.

Nah, I think the photo image of the dash is just flipped. Ya pretty sure.

If you can, definitely replace that dual points dizzy (and get appropriate coil, wires, etc.) My dual point dizzy "worked" but was really fussy. Electronic ignition made a big and immediate difference on smoothness and reliability. I also don't understand why you don't have a vacuum canister on yours for advance.

good catch on the photo flip you can see the gas pedal on the inside.your good.

dont know why my last post didn't post... damn phone.

dash isnt too irritating, but it has issues, the fuel gauge never goes over 1/2, the blinker symbols flash and then dont, and the speedo doesn't work. verified it's attached to the trans and dash, so either the cable is broke, or the dash. hope its the cable.

and as far as the picture being swapped wtf??? it's still lhd, but the previous owner swapped the gauges to the right side. the cable for the blinker/highbeam switch is stretched to the max. pic isn't flipped, the dash is pretty easy to move the gauges from the left to the right side.

oh, and the talon alt. that i used was out of a 2g, but i had it on my 1g, so i only used the middle 2 wires.it bolted right up like it was meant to be there. i spliced the 2 wires in, and done. the truck doesnt know what to do with its self with such constant voltage. i can tell you this much, i love it when people get behind me with brights on at night, cause i let 'em pass and turn the spotlights on. :devil:

and as far as the picture being swapped wtf??? it's still lhd, but the previous owner swapped the gauges to the right side. the cable for the blinker/highbeam switch is stretched to the max. pic isn't flipped, the dash is pretty easy to move the gauges from the left to the right side.

:rofl: My comment re: dash photo flipped was just messing around.

But I had no idea you could actually swap the bits of the dash - I guess a clever RHD/LHD architecture? But it seems like a hell of a lot of trouble and wiring mess (Dillweed again?)

I put a Saturn alternator in my 521 L20B swap and am pretty happy with it. That thread linked above helped a lot. My wiring harness has had a lot of history and shorted/burned at some point. Hate that crap. Make sure you put good grounds in - lots of threads discuss this.

Sorry to hear you're having more issues. I think I have a good throwout bearing if you need one and are ready for under-truck time (ETA: it's for a truck 5 speed - might not work for you).

thanks for the offer, i got a clutch coming in friday or saturday. Now if you had a spare freebe 5 speed that will fit an l16 :rolleyes: if that even exists, haven't even looked it up. and from what i've been told by some old rat rod guys, they made the dash that way precisely for easy conversion from lhd to rhd or reversed, so that if they had to divert a shipment from one country to the next they could do so easily. same reason the firewall is stamped on the rh side for the steering column.

Edit: and the dash harness was made to go to either side, you cant even tell wiring wise that the dash used to be on the left side